|
4 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Traditional entry of PDEs in Mathematica

Posted 2 years ago

I have been slowing learning how to use Mathematica to solve differential equations. I have found lots of demos read a lot of the support to questions on this site. However, I keep stumbling across an issues that I am not sure how to find help with. I can enter the PDE using the D function. However, I have come across several tutorials that enter the PDE using a more traditional appearance. I do not seem to be able to replicate this form of entry. Can anyone give me some pointers or suggestions? In the attached notebook I show the two methods I am talking about. The first works the second gives an error. An example of a demo using the second method is "Solving PDEs with Symbolics and Numerics" by Devendra Kapadia. The specific example I am trying to duplicate starts at ~2:40 of this video. He displays his notebook and the first input uses the format that I can not get to work in Mathematica. A screen grab is:

Example of input

POSTED BY: Edward Davis
4 Replies

Thanks that is exactly what I was looking for.

To enter the second version above I used the Basic Math Template to get a "fraction" "Ctrl +/" then type the top and bottom of the "fraction: using the Basic Math Template. The instructions you provided will "correctly" enter the pde BUT it does not appear in the workbook the same as the example above.

When using the differential template I get:

TransportEquation2 = \!\(
\*SubscriptBox[\(\[PartialD]\), \({t}\)]\(u[x, t]\)\) + \!\(
\*SubscriptBox[\(\[PartialD]\), \({x}\)]\(u[x, t]\)\) == 0

Which, while it works, does not replicate the style of entry shown in the video that I am referencing.

However, I have found that if you right click the input line and select "Convert To" from the drop down and "TraditionalForm" from the sub menu you get an input that looks like what I reference above. I think that this is what is going on. The video presenter is "cleaning up" the input. I have seen this a few times and while it is great for making pretty presentations, it can really mess up those who are just trying to learn how to use the software. Following an example when how to construct the input is not clear is very discouraging.

Thanks

Posted 2 years ago

Hi Edward,

Take a look at this Wolfram Blog post on mathematical typesetting. Agree that in some presentations it is not obvious how the typesetting was done.

POSTED BY: Rohit Namjoshi
Posted 2 years ago

Hi Edward,

Not sure how you are entering the second form. Either use the "Basic Math Assistant" palette and pick the ∂ template from the "Typesetting" section or enter

EscpdEsc Ctrl_ t Cursor right u[x,t]

Esc = escape key

POSTED BY: Rohit Namjoshi
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract