Message Boards Message Boards

Illustrating variability using Wolfram Language in undergraduate course

Good morning! I am in the process of assembling a set of WL teaching resources around the broad topic of 'variability,' for an undergraduate General Education course. The idea is to get the students to understand the nature and consequences of variability, and get them thinking about how to live in a variable universe. Topics will range from more abstract qualities of dynamical systems (e.g., chaos, self-organization, fractals) through examples from the real world in the areas of biology/ecology (my subject), genetics, physics, neuroscience, economics, and so on. We'll also be looking at cognitive flaws in humans which limit our ability to perceive or respond effectively to variability and chance events.

I have a bunch of ideas already, but I thought I would throw it out to the crowd: what is your favorite bit of WL code (snippet, one-liner, demonstration, carefully curated notebook, etc.) that compellingly illustrates some aspect of variability. All the students will have actual Mathematica, and these could be things are dropped into lectures as short demos, or bigger things that form the basis of assignments.

I will gladly share with the community the set of resources I eventually assemble (with notes on how well it worked in the class).

POSTED BY: Gareth Russell
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract