Message Boards Message Boards

Changing the RHS of an equation in order to inset a line?

Posted 2 years ago

This word, but is there any way to streamline it?

enter image description here

3 Replies

Since I have to solve for the intersection of the inset lines, I decided it was simpler to have another equation for the inset lines. This involves also finding the sign for the orientation of the triangle, since otherwise the inset lines won't always be inside.

I know that there are simpler ways of scaling a polygon, but here I want the inset to be by a fixed amount, not a proportion of the distance to the center.

Attachments:

Since I have to solve for the intersection of the inset lines, I decided it was simpler to have another equation for the inset lines. This involves also finding the sign for the orientation of the triangle, since otherwise the inset lines won't always be inside.

I know that there are simpler ways of scaling a polygon, but here I want the inset to be by a fixed amount, not a proportion of the distance to the center.

I was able to make the code more readable and concise by use temporary variables for the equations for the lines. But I'm trying to remember if there are abbreviations I could use with pattern-matching which would be even simpler.

Attachments:
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract