Message Boards Message Boards

Date-related functions: revision and performance comparison

Posted 2 years ago
6 Replies

Thanks for putting this analysis together Benjamin, I've gone through the details you put together as well as the github repository you linked.

As you noted in the description, some of the differences are down to extra features like time zone/time system/calendar handling (Calendrical Calculations is actually the basis of a number of the in-built algorithms for some of the supported calendars...which you may have already guessed). Things like DayCountConvention and HolidayCalendar also add compexity to arithmetic operations.

..but having said that the most common cases for these are still substantially slower than they need to be, which is a particular problem for arrays of dates. Optimization is an on-going task, but one we hope to have greatly improved in the coming release, as well support in future features like dedicated date arrays for storing and operating on large collections of dates at once.

If you have any additional questions or feedback please feel free to note it here, or contact me directly, and I'll be happy to talk in more detail.

-Nick Lariviere Kernel Developer at Wolfram Research Inc

POSTED BY: Nick Lariviere
Posted 2 years ago

Hi Benjamin,

Very useful, thanks for sharing! You should consider submitting these to the Wolfram Function Repository.

POSTED BY: Rohit Namjoshi

Thanks for the suggestion, I think because of having multiple functions + LibraryLink files, it's a perfect candidate to use the upcoming paclet repository to activate the "Time-Related Computation" section.

enter image description here -- you have earned Featured Contributor Badge enter image description here Your exceptional post has been selected for our editorial column Staff Picks http://wolfr.am/StaffPicks and Your Profile is now distinguished by a Featured Contributor Badge and is displayed on the Featured Contributor Board. Thank you!

POSTED BY: Moderation Team

Thanks for sharing! I wonder why Wolfram did not improve it themselves. I once logged a case about slowness and I don't think I'm the only one. Great work!

POSTED BY: l van Veen
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract