Message Boards Message Boards

Can ChromaticityPlot3D be made faster?

Posted 2 years ago

I have been doing work in Mathematica which involves visualizing the extent to which photographic images fit within printing process color gamuts. A primary tool for this is ChromaticityPlot3D. I plot both the printer gamut and image pixel values in the same plot to examine the fit.

The only real problem with this is speed of execution. If I plot all the image points it can take tens of minutes. I reduce the number of points to 10000, assuming this will sample my image on a 100x100 grid. (It's not documented how the subset of points is chosen, but this seems reasonable.)

The result s that converting each of 10000 points RGB values to CIE coordinates and plotting the result takes 55 seconds. During the execution, the Windows 10 Resource Monitor reports 18% CPU utilization with no GPU activity. That's 5.5 ms per point.

It appears Mathematica is partially using one core on my four core laptop. I tried to Parallelize the function, but Mathematica declined.

For reference, here is statement evaluated. (But I did not attach the image or profile due to size.)

ChromaticityPlot3D[{fujiPearlProfile, testImage}, 
 MaxPlotPoints -> maxPlotPoints, 
 FillingStyle -> {Opacity[1], Opacity[1]}, 
 Appearance -> "VisibleSpectrum", ViewPoint -> viewPoint]

Can anyone suggest a way to speed this up?

POSTED BY: David Keith
2 Replies
Posted 2 years ago

Thank you, Giulio. You are quite right.

• Plotting the printer profile and the image with MaxPlotPoints->10000 requires 68 seconds.

• The profile alone requires 65 seconds.

• The image alone 0.4 seconds.

• When I try to plot the image (from a 24 MPix camera) with MaxPlotPoints->Infinity, I get a fatal error: "An unknown box name (ToBoxes) was sent as the BoxForm for the expression. Check the format rules for the expression" and the kernal quits.

I will stick to fewer points, since they do seem to reasonably sample the image. However, my real application is to look at how a single image is handled by multiple profiles. I'm looking for the process that best handles all the colors in the image. So I think I'll have to be satisfied with at least a minute of processing time for each trial.

Thanks again and kind regards, David

POSTED BY: David Keith

Color conversion using external profiles is very slow. I would suggest to plot fujiPearlProfile, save it and then combine it with a separate plot for each image using Show.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract