|
5 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Using system of equations palette in the InputForm - Syntax error

Posted 2 years ago

I'd like to use the system of equations palette in the InputForm. When I try to solve a system I get a syntax error. How can I overcome it?

enter image description here

EDIT: the code obtained by copy and paste the object in the figure above is:

\!\(
TagBox[
StyleBox[
RowBox[{"{", 
StyleBox[GridBox[{
{
RowBox[{
RowBox[{"x", "+", "y"}], "=", "1"}]},
{
RowBox[{"y", "=", "2"}]}
}],
ShowAutoStyles->True]}],
ShowAutoStyles->False],
#& ]\)
POSTED BY: Gennaro Arguzzi
5 Replies
Posted 2 years ago

Maybe there are folks with more palette expertise, but until they chime in, all I can tell you is that I've searched all of the standard palettes and I can find no evidence that there is a typeset version of Solve. There is a placeholder version of DSolve: enter image description here

There is also a form that looks similar to the one you're using, but it's associated to Piecewise: enter image description here

Notice how it has 4 placeholders. Also, hovering over it shows you what it's for.

For what it's worth, you can create your own palettes. So, you may have to resort to building a custom palette.

POSTED BY: Eric Rimbey
Posted 2 years ago

If your objective is to solve a system of equations, use Solve. If your objective is to typeset something that doesn't need to be evaluated, put it in a text cell (or any cell type you want that does not have the Evaluatable property).

The goal is to solve a system of equations by using the palette (I know how to solve integrals, matrix multiplication etc by using palettes, but I am not able to use the one in the figure above). Is there any documentation which says that I cannot use it to solve a system of equations?

Posted 2 years ago

I'm not aware of a "system of equations palette", so I may be missing something, but I believe what is happening is that you are using a form from one of the palettes that is intended for styling and layout of stuff. By using it in an Input cell, Mathematica is expecting to be able to evaluate whatever you put there. I don't know what that left bracket thing is supposed to mean for evaluation, so I don't know specifically how to explain its use.

One thing I can point out is that you are using Set instead of Equal. If this thing really is supposed to solve a system of equations, then I suspect it expects Equal.

But if you really just want to solve a system of equations, you could use Solve:

Solve[{x + y == 1 && y == 2}, {x, y}]
(*{{x -> -1, y -> 2}}*)

Hello Eric, I edited my question. I'm wondering why I can use the palette which represents a matrix to perform matrix multiplication, and it seems that I cannot use the palette of system of equations. Both palettes are in the same line in Basic Typesetting (menĂ¹ Palettes-->Others-->Basic Typessing).

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract