Message Boards Message Boards

Wolfram advantage of solving nonlinear differential equations

Posted 2 years ago

Hi Guys

I have a set of differential equations which are nonlinear and also present chaos when initial conditions are assigned. My query is not with regards to solving the equations on Mathematica but rather what functionality does Mathematica offer compared to Matlab when dealing with such equations.

I have currently modelled the system on Matlab and found that the solution presents errors shortly after 10-15 seconds. The reason I have found this issue is attributed to the fact that Matlab allows one to use different types of ODE solvers.

I am under the assumption that Mathematica has a far better capabilities when solving differential equations. Through my research I have found that the NDSolve command can be used to develop numerical results to differential equations. So my questions are as follows:

• What advantages does Mathematica have over Matlab for solving differential equations?
  • How would one check the accuracy of solution on Mathematica? as there is just one command which is used for solving hence no comparison can be made.

Apologies I do not have any code to share at this point as this is just a query so I know if it is worth my time to move over to Mathematica.

POSTED BY: Mishal Mohanlal
2 Replies

Could also have a look through the advanced documentation for NDSolve

https://reference.wolfram.com/language/tutorial/NDSolveOverview.html

POSTED BY: Daniel Lichtblau

Hi Mishal, Please check the following resources. I think they will be helpful in your case. Epsecially

Hybrid Symbolic-Numeric Methodology

Symbolic and numerical computation are traditionally thought of as separate, to the detriment of users. In Mathematica, they are seamlessly integrated, enabling unique hybrid methods for many problems and ensuring consistent results whenever quantities of any precision are combined.

POSTED BY: Ahmed Elbanna
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract