Message Boards Message Boards

How to copy an image file in macOS Finder and paste into a Notebook?

Hello all, On macOS 12.1 (ARM) with Mathematica 13.0.0.0, I am trying to copy a PNG file from the Finder and paste the image directly into a Notebook, but instead of the image appearing, I only get the file path.

If I try the same process with Pages or Word, the image file is pasted into the document. Similarly, if I choose "New from Clipboard" from Preview, I get a new document showing the image. Surprisingly, if I copy the image that I just pasted into Pages or Word or Preview, I can then paste the image into a Notebook.

Overall, I don't understand why some copy/paste operations in Mathematica result in a path being pasted and other copy/paste operations result in an image being pasted.

As background, I am trying to speed up my workflow of creating assignments and learning materials. I distribute most of my course materials to students as Notebooks. Currently, I take a screenshot, switch to the Finder, then drag-and-drop the image into the Notebook. This works but is slow and requires that I switch between apps and use the mouse, so my goal is to automate this process.

Thank you

POSTED BY: Timothy Ewing
2 Replies

To make your workflow even faster, instead of saving the screenshots to the desktop, you could save them to the clipboard (use Control-Command-Shift-4 and drag) and then just paste into your Mathematica notebook. This way you don't generate temporary files in your desktop.

I do this same workflow in Windows with the help of Greenshot.

POSTED BY: Gustavo Delfino

Thank you!

I was so focused on figuring out how to copy and paste directly from the Finder that I forgot all about the other options available in the Screenshot.app--one of which is "Save to Clipboard."

Also, thanks for the tip/reminder about the other related keyboard shortcuts.

POSTED BY: Timothy Ewing
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract