Message Boards Message Boards

[WSG22] Daily Study Group: Notebook-Based Workflows for Data Explorations

A new study group for Notebook-Based Workflows for Data Exploration begins Monday, March 7, 2022! We will meet daily, Monday to Friday. Each session will include time for demonstrative examples, interactive polls, discussion and Q&A.The following topics will be covered:

• Working in notebooks
  • Importing data
  • Visualizing data
  • Analyzing data
  • Making workflows interactive

We will look at various "Workflows" from the Wolfram Documentation Center and see how we can use Wolfram Notebooks to build our own notebook-based workflows for exploring data.

REGISTER HERE:
https://www.bigmarker.com/series/daily-study-group-notebook-based-workflows-2022
About This Study Group: We use workflows from Wolfram's extensive documentation system to work with data. We will look at detailed step-by-step recipes for simple computational tasks needed to build more complex technical workflows. The study group starts with a brief introduction to Wolfram Notebooks and then quickly moves on to more practical tasks like importing data, creating visualizations and doing basic analysis. We will end with instructions for utilizing the user-friendly notebook environment and the elegance of the Wolfram Language to quickly create interactive interfaces to aid your data explorations.

enter image description here

24 Replies

@Hassan Al-Siraj , @Brenda Macias and @Ricardo Rovere de Santi we are investigating the issues you are facing with the quiz. Meanwhile, if you haven't already, please contact wolfram-u@wolfram.com with the Wolfram Id you used for the quiz and we will get back to you about your individual submission.

Brenda and Ricardo, I can confirm we received your successful submission.

Hassan we do not seem to have received your email with your Wolfram ID yet. Could you please resend?

@Hassan Al-Siraj received your successful submission.

Thank you Abrita

POSTED BY: Hassan Al-Siraj

I have the same inquiry as Brenda, I am unsure that my response was received if I responded through my account and got the score. Thanks

Hi. Why do we have to specify a format of data being imported (say, CSV) if this information is already contained in the file extension (.CSV) ?

Here is the related example from the class:

spreadsheetCommas = 
 Import[FileNameJoin[{NotebookDirectory[], "two_column_csv.csv"}],  "CSV"]

Thank you.
Michael.

The documentation for Import lists the following usage:

Import[source,"fmt"]

takes the file to be in the specified format "fmt".

Over the years Import function has been improved to automatically recognize the format of a file. But this usage is still valid.

Posted 2 years ago

Hi,

I finished my quiz but am now unsure how to submit it after I get my score. I want to check in and see if my score were recieved?

POSTED BY: Brenda Macias

Hi Abrita: I am trying to answer the quiz but getting zero. However, I am pretty sure most of my answers are correct. may you check this, please?

Hi Hasan, Can you email wolfram-u@wolfrm.com with your Wolfram ID? We can check if we received your submission correctly.

Thanks

Abita I have the same problem as Hassan, you can help me?

Computational exploration examples:

If you are facing issues with the visualization functions like MatrixPlot or ReliefPlot in the Bacteriological Topography Exploration example from day 3, ensure that the data is being imported correctly as a SparseArray and not as a String. MatrixPlot and ReliefPlot can work with a SparseArray but will complain in the event your data was imported as one long string.

Posted 2 years ago

Hi Abrita, when running the notebook, for some reason I get a List of a SparseArray instead of the pure SparseArray. I solved this with the part operator: SparceArray-MatrixPlot

POSTED BY: lara wag

Thanks for sharing @lara wag

Hope this is helpful to anyone else facing a similar issue.

Q and A digests for days 1, 2 and 3 have been added to the download folder.

Posted 2 years ago

Hello Abrita,

I apologize for being unable to attend live as intended. I do want you to know this is very valuable and I am grateful to view the video's later and work the problems.

Thank you,

Dennis

POSTED BY: Updating Name

Hi Dennis, We're glad to hear that you are finding the sessions helpful. Feel free to post any questions you may have to this thread.

Hi Ricardo, Yes, I wanted to give a little more time to folks to try out the solution on their own. I will be going over the solution in the "Review Session" on Friday.

Homework: Create a TOC for the exploration notebook shared on Day 1. These resources may be helpful:

Abita, if I am not mistaken you didn't show the resolution of the homework of the first day, which is to create TOC, on the second day.? Because you mention that you would present on today.

Thank you for joining us on day one of this study group. As promised here is the cloud-published version of the notebook showing a simple computational exploration: https://wolfr.am/12MQW522u

Click on "Make Your Own Copy" at the tip right corner to make your personal copy of the notebook and

• Try to evaluate the existing code in the notebook
  • Modify the notebook content to perform your own computational explorations (add some new analysis or perform the same analysis for a different text or dataset e.g. https://datarepository.wolframcloud.com/type/Text/)

A tour of Wolfram Documentation, especially the Workflows that were introduced in version 11.3: https://youtu.be/mB06VO-R_SU

We will be using these Workflows from the documentation to build our own notebook-based workflows in this Daily Study Group series.

Looking forward to the start of our next Daily Study Group, Notebook-Based Workflows for Data Explorations, on Monday, March 7. Hope to see you there!

POSTED BY: Jamie Peterson
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract