Message Boards Message Boards

DSolveValue error: equations are not the same shape

Posted 2 years ago

Hello,

I have a system of differential equations that can be used to model orbits of stars in binary systems in cartesian coordinates. Normally, I specify the masses of the stars, the period and eccentricity of the orbit to use for initial conditions, I use NDSolveValue and things work great. However, I want to solve the functions symbolically where I do not give initial conditions for the masses of the two stars and, instead get a solution that is mass dependent. I switched to DSolveValue, keeping all of the diff eqs the same and just didn't specify what the masses were. However, I keep getting an error message saying that things are not the same shape. Is it possible to solve these diff eqs without specifying the mass of the two stars?

POSTED BY: sorabella91
2 Replies

You should not use Period, because it is a built-in symbol.

Mathematica cannot find an analytical solution to your equations. The opaque error message is just a consequence of that.

POSTED BY: Gianluca Gorni
Posted 2 years ago

If an analytical solution does not exist, would it be possible to solve it numerically without specifying the masses? NDSolveValue does work if mass is specified but doesn't seem to like when mass is not given an actual value to it. Any work arounds?

POSTED BY: sorabella91
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract