|
5 Replies
|
4 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

A few problems with the evaluation of limits of multivariable functions

Posted 2 years ago

Recently, I have been studying limits of multivariable functions.

In particular, I am interested to evaluate the expression $$\displaystyle \frac{1}{(4 \left((\alpha + 2 y\beta + x \delta)^2 + (\epsilon +2 y \eta + x \lambda)^2\right)^2 \left(\left(y \delta + a_{10} + 2 x a_{20})^2 + (y \lambda + b_{10}+ 2xb_{20})^2\right))^2\right)}$$.

in the neighborhood of $y=0$ and $x=\displaystyle \frac{(-\delta \epsilon \sqrt{-(\delta \eta - \beta\lambda)^2} \ + \alpha \lambda \sqrt{-(\delta \eta - \beta \lambda)^2} - \ \delta \eta (\alpha \delta + \epsilon \lambda) + \beta \ \lambda (\alpha \delta + \epsilon \lambda))}{((\delta \ \eta - \beta \lambda) (\delta^2 + \lambda^2))}$.

By employing the Mathematica, one retrives $\textit{ComplexInfinity}$ as a result. Based on the above,

1. What does $\textit{ComplexInfinity}$ mean here? That is to say, what is the suppose direction of a such result (e.g. -$\infty$ or +$\infty$ or just $\infty$ ?
  2. Is there another way to evaluate that limit and obtain a more reliable result through Mathematica or Maple?

Ps: I have read other posts on the subject, however, these did not clarify my doubts.

5 Replies

Assuming the denominator vanishes for that {x,y} pair, probably Indeterminate would be more correct. But what Gianluca Gorni noted is on target, limiting values will depend on patch of approach.

POSTED BY: Daniel Lichtblau

Thanks for commenting! On account of your observations, I will investigate these expressions further.

Your function is strange. It contains the square root of minus a square. Are your variables complex? If so, you should not be surprised to get ComplexInfinity as output. Also, you have a lot of parameters, which often make symbolic calculation very complicated.

POSTED BY: Gianluca Gorni

Thanks Gianluca Gorni for commeting! In principle, all coefficients are real. Nevertheless, I will revise the expressions according to your and Mr. Lichtblau's comments.

Welcome to Wolfram Community!
Please make sure you know the rules: https://wolfr.am/READ-1ST
Please edit your post and provide formatted sample code that demonstrates the problem and your trials. This will make it easier for other members to help you.
The rules above explain several methods to include your code.

POSTED BY: Moderation Team
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract