Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
1 Reply
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

What's the quintessence of Wolfram language?

Posted 2 years ago

One of my friends told me that the quintessence of Wolfram language lies in the methods implemented by DownValues, UpValues, SubValues, and OwnValues. But I think that in nature Wolfram language is a kind of variant/dialect/enhancement of lisp, hence the lambda calculus is its quintessence.

Any comments/explanations/clarifications will be highly appreciated.

Regards,
HZ

POSTED BY: Hongyi Zhao
Posted 2 years ago

OwnValues et al are the transformation rules used to evaluate expressions. A Lisp program must also maintain transformation rules somewhere in the execution context. So you and your friend seem to be largely in agreement.

As for lambda calculus, it might be more accurate to say that it serves as inspiration for both Lisp and WL. But maybe that equates to quintessence--I won't quibble.

But these comments approach the question by looking at the form of WL and its model of execution. An alternate perspective would be a sort of teleological one, and from this perspective I think Stephen Wolfram's own words might be the best answer: https://writings.stephenwolfram.com/2019/05/what-weve-built-is-a-computational-language-and-thats-very-important/

POSTED BY: Eric Rimbey
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract