Message Boards Message Boards

[WSG22] Daily Study Group: Building and Sharing Technical Workflows

A new study group on the topic "Building and Sharing Technical Workflows" will begin soon.

Join a cohort of fellow learners and expand your understanding of how the Wolfram Notebook interface can be used to express your ideas and develop technical workflows for data science, modeling, research, education and more. No previous experience with Mathematica or the Wolfram Language is required.

August 15–20, 11am–12pm US CT (4–5pm GMT)

REGISTER HERE

enter image description here

29 Replies

Thanks. No questions anymore.

Q and A digest from the final day of the study group session has been uploaded.

Hi, Arbita. I requested the exam but did not realize that it was a 1 week deadline. Can I use this one for practice, and then request a new version when time allows? Thanks. Michael

Hi @Michael Partensky, if you are referring to the Wolfram Language Level 1 certification exam, we have no objection to taking a practice test. Keep in mind the policy that candidates may request this assessment up to three times within a six-month interval. We can make exceptions for extenuating circumstances. You can contact wolfram-u@wolfram.com for assistance.

POSTED BY: Jamie Peterson

Hi;

How can I view a cell in a different notebook. In my case, I have information in cells of a notebook that is common to several notebooks. Instead of permanently placing this information (copying) this information each individual notebook, I would like to just reference the information through a link. In other words, I would like to click on a link to view the reference information without the information becoming a permanently part of the notebook that I am viewing.

Thanks,

Mitch Sandlin

POSTED BY: Mitchell Sandlin

Hi Mitch, This can be done by hyperlinking to the cell in the original notebook. Make sure you tag that cell with a CellTag. Then create a hyperlink to the original notebook and select the cell tag within that notebook you would like to link to. enter image description here

Hi Steven. I do see your name on our registration list. It would help us to troubleshoot if you would send details about what happened when you clicked your join link by sending email to wolfram-u@wolfram.com. I have just now resent your confirmation email to you, if you would like to try that link again. We recommend using Chrome browser. The link to today's recording and to download Study Group materials will be included in a notification email to follow later today. Please contact our team by email if we can offer any assistance to you.

Hi Jamie,

The link you sent me works and I'm in the session. Many thanks for your quick response and help!

POSTED BY: Steven Zimmerman

Hello, I wasn't able to join the Friday session, today, despite clicking the BigMarker link. May I have a recording of the live sessions as well as the link to Ameoba? Many thanks! Steven Zimmerman

Some of the links I shared in the Study Group session yesterday and a few other additional resources:

Q and A digest for days 1, 2 and 3 have been uploaded to the download folder.

POSTED BY: Evan Kurnia Alim

Scope of the three different levels for applying a style or option:

• Global Preferences—settings for the entire application
  • Selected Notebook—settings for an entire notebook
  • Selection—settings for the current selection, e.g. for a group of cells, a single cell, or text within a cell

https://reference.wolfram.com/language/tutorial/OptionInspector.html#11478

Add/Remove Cell Tags does indeed appear when you right-click on the cell bracket. Thanks Nana and Vamshi for pointing that out. enter image description here

I found that since Mathematica 12, it is failed to insert citations using Endnote V20.
Is Mathematica 13 fixed now? enter image description here

POSTED BY: Tsai Ming-Chou

Thanks for your question. I'm checking with the support team about this.

Unfortunately this issue seems to persist in the current version. We have forwarded your report to the development team.

Thank you, Abrita, for this Button Code example. I need to develop more strategies for myself on creating "small, stand alone, user interactive applications". William

POSTED BY: William Weller

There was a question at today's session about creating a button to evaluate some code occurring in cells earlier in the notebook. Here is one possible way to do this:

Got it, thanks

POSTED BY: William Weller

I found it at https://www.bigmarker.com/series/dsg-building-and-sharing-technical-workflows/series_details. Still, please make sure that I am on the list. Thanks. M

Hi Michael, I confirm you are on the registration list and should receive daily reminder emails. I see that there was a problem with the BigMarker email server, and we have reported this. I apologize for the email problem today.

Good idea to go to the series page, where you can join the session in progress: https://www.bigmarker.com/series/dsg-building-and-sharing-technical-workflows/series_details

Hi, I did not receive a link to the session. Please send it. Michael.

Here is my homework notebook. Feel free to use this as an example or non-example.
I found a hiccup using the ImageIdentify and thought it would be good to share.

Here is the URL https://www.wolframcloud.com/obj/steven.zimmerman/Published/First%20Homework_Working%20with%20Images%20and%20Countries.nb

Homework: Have some fun experimenting with the Wolfram Language in a notebook. Try editing this colorful notebook yourself.

• Click Make Your Own Copy on the top-right corner to create your own copy of the notebook to edit.
  • Edit the heading "Something Colorful" to say something more meaningful to you.
  • Replace the image of the frog with a different image.
  • Evaluate the line of code with ImageIdentify[ ...] by placing your cursor anywhere in the cell and pressing Shift+Enter.
  • Evaluate the line of code that says WordDefinition[%].
  • Place your cursor in the empty space in the notebook after the output from the preceding line of code and type in Length[TextWords[%]].
  • Evaluate the code you just typed in--it should give you the number of the words in the line of text from the previous output.

Bonus challenge: Create a Grid or ImageCollage of all the flags of the countries in Europe.

Hints: To get a list of flags of all the countries in Europe try a natural language input like "flags of european countries" (after typing in the equal sign in a new cell in a notebook)

Solution to Monday's HW

This Daily Study Group starts today! Looking forward.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract