Message Boards Message Boards

Solving two coupled 1D advection equations - stability problem

Posted 1 year ago

I am encoutering some difficulties when I try to solve a system of two coupled advection equations in 1D:

enter image description here .

where na and ni are the searched functions; va, vi and beta are constant coefficients.

Firstly, I try solve the simpler system of two non-coupled transport equations, by simpling putting the right hand sides of the equations to 0. For simplicity, I set the initial conditions to be sin(x) and left boundary conditions to be 0. Thus one obtains a pretty straightforward system of two uncoupled transport equations. The solutions obtained for this system seem reasonable:

Then, I introduce some exponential growth along the characteristics. At this point, the solution looses stability and some oscillations are seen in the solutions:

The next step would be to introduce some coupling between the equation. Any suggestions how to prevent the oscillations from arising?

POSTED BY: Olgierd Cichorek
3 Replies

I have double-checked the numerical solution obtained by Mathematica with analytical solutions for simple boundary conditions (e.g. such as x(2-x)). Looks like Mathematica is calculating everything correctly - the analytical solutions suggest that singularities are indeed present in the points stated in the console.

Closing the thread.

Hi Olgierd,

The step size needs to be reduced, not set to Infinity. Try MaxStepSize -> 0.001.

POSTED BY: Rohit Namjoshi

Dear Rohit,

Thank you for your response. Yes, this was an error - correcting it prevents the oscillations from arising, as shown in the attached notebook:

However, going one step further and adding the coupling on the right-hand side of the equations:

the solution diverges. Any suggestions on how to make the solution converge?

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract