Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
2 Replies
|
2 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Kernel freezes in some "Elementary Introduction to WL" exercises?

Posted 1 year ago

In chapter 7 "colors and styles" section of the book, there are some exercises that seem to freeze the kernel when I click "check answer". For example, exercise 2.4 says

"Make a list of colors with hues varying from 0 to 1 in steps of 0.02."

When I put the correct answer Table[Hue[x], {x, 0, 1, 0.02}], I can evaluate and it compare to the "expected output" and it matches and works fine. However, if I click "Check my solution", it will run indefinitely and prevent me from evaluating anything else until I restart Mathematica.

Even clicking "abort evaluation" in the menu or "remove from evaluation queue" does nothing, only a restart of Mathematica works. This is in the notebook version of the book. I'm using Mathematica 13.1 on Debian 11. Also, this exact same behavior happens on the Wolfram cloud version of the book, and there it hung my notebooks for longer since there's no easy analog of reset; I think I had to do some random things that I no longer remember in order to get my web notebooks to work again.

POSTED BY: David Liu
2 Replies
Posted 1 year ago

This has been confirmed to be an issue. I reported it to Wolfram Support and got a reply from support@wolfram.com with the following:

It does appear that there is an issue with checking the solution for EIWL exercise problem 7.4. I have forwarded an issue report to our developers based on the information you provided.

POSTED BY: David Liu

Crossposted here.

POSTED BY: Rohit Namjoshi
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract