Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
2 Replies
|
1 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

How to simplify an expression through variable substitution?

Posted 1 year ago

Hello, I am trying to simplify a complicated expression through variable substitution and part of the expression looks like:

$2A_1^2+A_1B_2+2B_1^2-B_2A_1+2C_1^2+C_1D_2+2D_1^2-D_2C_1$

I want to substitute $A_1^2+B_1^2+C_1^2+D_1^2$ with $h_1^2$ and substitute $A_1B_2-B_2A_1+C_1D_2-D_2C_1$ with $h_{12}$ and finally the expression would become $2h_1^2+h_{12}$.

I have tried to use /. to replace, however, it seems that Mathematica is not able to do the substitution when the expression don't explicitly contain the part to be substituted.

What's more, I also tried to use Solve and Reduce method. But as I am new to Mathematica, I cannot get a simple expression from Reduce (the results are divided into several conditions like B1=0&&B2=0) and I cannot get a desired result from Solve.

Could anybody give some examples on how to do this? Thanks in advance!!

POSTED BY: Chenjia Zhang
2 Replies
Posted 1 year ago

Perhaps

Simplify[2A1^2+A1 B2+2B1^2-B2 A1+2C1^2+C1 D2+2D1^2-D2 C1- 
  2(A1^2+B1^2+C1^2+D1^2)+2h1^2-
  (A1 B2-B2 A1+C1 D2-D2 C1)+h12]

which returns

2*h1^2 + h12

but this is perhaps not because of the reason you think because

A1 B2-B2 A1+C1 D2-D2 C1==0

unless you might be thinking and have not told Mathematica that these are noncommutative products

Ah, duplicate here with more methods than I provided.

POSTED BY: Bill Nelson

Welcome to Wolfram Community!
Please Edit your post and provide your trials in terms of Wolfram Language code. This will make it easier for other members to help you.

Check several methods available to include your code in the rules http://wolfr.am/READ-1ST

POSTED BY: Moderation Team
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract