4 Replies
|
2 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Additional clutches increase build time exponentially

Posted 1 year ago

Dear Colleagues,

I have a requirement to simulate the sequential deployment of multiple structures that are folded at t=0. The links are connected with revolute joints that are "spring loaded" with a spring + damper component and are "held" in their folded configuration by clutch components. The clutches are "released" sequentially by step commands.

During tests I have noticed that the build time reported by the Simulation Center increases exponentially with the number of clutches, as tabulated below

Clutch cnt   Time (s)
0              25
1              34
2              63
3             108
4             247
5            1085

The 18 minutes of build time for five clutches is quite sobering and I cannot afford to wait that long during testing. Moreover, I have to add seven more clutches for other structures and I am worried that the model will become useless because of the long build time.

The only message from the Simulation Center that might have some bearing on the problem is

Warning: [LIN_SYS] LU decomposition of linear system failed (U[2, 2] is exactly zero). Using complete orthogonal decomposition from now on. [170»] [@0.0 s]

I have read quite a bit of SystemModeler documentation on clutches and simulation set up but I haven't been able to figure out if I am doing something wrong or if SystemModeler has a bug. I would appreciate any suggestions or help.

After I post this message I am going to try other methods of holding the joints in their stowed positions with something else but a clutch.

Thank you.

BU

POSTED BY: Bogdan Udrea
4 Replies
Posted 10 months ago

Aloha Colleagues, I received an answer on 11 Nov 2022 about this topic. Please see below the excerpt from the email by Riaz Khan from Wolfram Research, Inc. Technical Support.

I want to let you know that we can replicate long simulation times in windows and Mac, it was surprisingly fast in Linux with the clang c++ compiler. The reason for the slow simulation is the exponential increase in the number of the generated equation from the model. I have created a bug report for further investigation. You may try is to add a body component (Modelica.Mechanics.MultiBody.Parts.Body) in series with the spring damper system. That might add an additional state and break the system of equations. If you run into any other problems with any of our products, please do not hesitate to contact us

Posted 1 year ago

I have read a bit and tested with solver and parameter settings and have not been able to improve on build time. I am going to report this as a bug.

Posted 1 year ago

Thank you, Ankit. The first thing I tried after I posted was to disable animation globally, from World, as you suggested. Without animation, the build time was 914 s, so a bit of an improvement but insufficient for my workflow.

If animation is not critical for your application, you can turn off the animation (Select World component then set enableAnimation to False) and give it a try.

POSTED BY: Ankit Naik
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract