Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
3 Replies
|
8 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Wolfram Language Paclet Repository minimum version?

Posted 1 year ago

I'm thinking of moving my EcoEvo package to the Wolfram Language Paclet Repository. This page says that Mathematica v13.0 is required for development, but I'm interested in the minimum version for users. What is the oldest version of Mathematica that WLPR supports for users?

(cross-posted to mathematica.stackexchange.com)

3 Replies

Paclets in the WLPR need to have PacletInfo files written in the

PacletObject[<| Name->"xxxx"... |>]

style instead of the older Paclet[Name->"xxxx"] style. I don't think that PacletObject is supported in versions by 12.0 and earlier version. So even though you could look at the ResourceObject metadata, find the CloudObject containing the .paclet file and use PacletManager`PacletInstall on that file, I don't think it would work.

POSTED BY: Bob Sandheinrich

Users need to have at least 12.1 to find and install any paclet from the Wolfram Language Paclet Repository.

It's up to the developer to determine which versions are supported by the content of their paclet, and there is a field in the paclet resource definition notebook (and the PacletInfo.wl file) where you can specify that version. I'd encourage you to build a paclet using the "Build" button and then install and test it in the minimal version that you claim to support. For a complex package, it's not easy to deduce all the dependencies without testing.

POSTED BY: Bob Sandheinrich

Thanks for the info Bob! I keep an old version of 10.0.2 around for testing backwards compatibility and it usually presents some surprises.

Can WLPR packages be installed by users of older versions through some other mechanism, or would I be leaving <12.1 users behind?

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract