|
2 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

DSolve fails to solve Schroedinger equation for Spin-1 particle

Posted 1 year ago

Hi everyone, I am trying to calculate the Rabi transitions of a Spin-1 atom. The physical background of this problem, including an analytical solution (which is possibly not correct?) can be found here:

https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/210012/rabi-problem-for-a-spin-1-particle

I was trying to solve the time dependent Schroedinger equation of this problem by using DSolve. For some strange reason, however, it does not work if i write the exponentials Exp[ix] in the form Cos[x]+iSin[x]. For testing purposes, I created a Mathematica notebook that uses the same hamiltonians, "hamil1" in exponential form and "hamil2" in the Cos/Sin form, see:

As you can verify by yourself, applying DSolve to hamil1 works, but not for hamil2.

For some other reason, FullSimplify[hamil1-hamil2] does not simplify to zero! However, it does if I simplify the difference of the matrix elements (also shown in this notebook).
Is there any problem with the definition of the hamiltonian matrices?
If I type "?hamil1" or "?hamil2", mathematica generates the following error message: An unknown box name (BoxForm`MakeRowBoxes) was sent as the BoxForm for the expression. Check the format rules for the expression.

I don't know how to interpret this message...
Can anybody help me?
Thanks!

Used version: Mathematica 13.1

POSTED BY: Thomas Schoenau
2 Replies

I don't understand why, but hamil1 and hamil2 are memorized as SparseArray. How did you enter them? FullSimplify does not seem to handle sparse arrays. Just apply Normal before Simplify:

Simplify[Normal[hamil1 - hamil2]]
POSTED BY: Gianluca Gorni
Posted 1 year ago

As for why

FullSimplify[hamil1-hamil2]

is not reducing to a zero matrix, one would need to do either

FullSimplify@ComplexExpand[hamil1-hamil2]

or

FullSimplify@ExpToTrig[hamil1-hamil2]

since FullSimplify does not automatically do either of those operations. Your other issue maybe related.

POSTED BY: Troy Wahl
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract