Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
1 Reply
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

How to enter a quantity for revolutions to convert to radians and degrees?

I am working on the following physics problem and I want to enter a quantity for plane angle that I will convert to radians and degrees for comparison:
25*(II) A car at the Indianapolis 500 accelerates uniformly from the pit area, going from rest to 270 km/h in a semicircular arc with a radius of 220 m. Determine the tangential and radial acceleration of the car when it is halfway through the arc, assuming constant tangential acceleration. If the curve were flat, what coefficient of static friction would be necessary between the tires and the road to provide this acceleration with no slipping or skidding?
I tried

UnitConvert[
 Quantity[1, "Revolutions"], {"Radians", "Milliradians", "Degrees"}]

but Mathematica returned

{$Failed, $Failed, $Failed}

I realize the issue is that the dimensions are different.

AssociationMap[UnitDimensions][{Quantity[1, "Revolutions"], 
  Quantity[1, "Radians"], Quantity[1, "Milliradians"], 
  Quantity[1, "AngularDegrees"]}]

I think there is an angle unit to enter as fractions of a circle. For example, I tried revolutions when I found the unit to convert from at https://www.nist.gov/pml/special-publication-811/nist-guide-si-appendix-b-conversion-factors/nist-guide-si-appendix-b9#ANGLE. I also thought maybe the name of the quantity was cycle, but that doesn't work either. I also tried circle and that didn't work. If there was a way to list all the quantities supported by Quantity like how FormulaData[] lists all the formulas, I could use the operator form

Select[CompatibleUnitQ[#, "AngularDegrees"] &]

to find all the unit compatible with radians. Is there a way to list all the quantities supported by Quantity.

I entered convert convert 5 mrad to revolutions into Wolfram Alpha and it returned computable data with Quantity and "Revolutions". I found a way to compute the semicircle with Region:

Region[Circle[{0, 0}, 220, {0 Degree, 180 Degree}]]

This draws half of the semicircle:

Region[Circle[{0, 0}, 220, {90 Degree, 180 Degree}]]

The arc length of the semicircle:

In[267]:= FullSimplify[
 RegionMeasure[
  Region[Circle[{0, 0}, Quantity[220, "Meters"], {0 Degree, 180 Degree}]]]]

Out[267]= Quantity[220 \[Pi], "Meters"]

The arc length of half of the semicircle:

In[268]:= FullSimplify[
 RegionMeasure[
  Region[Circle[{0, 0}, Quantity[220, "Meters"], {90 Degree, 180 Degree}]]]]

Out[268]= Quantity[110 \[Pi], "Meters"]
POSTED BY: Peter Burbery
Posted 1 year ago

I want to enter a quantity for plane angle that I will convert to radians and degrees

Why don't you just use radians or degrees?

As for searching for supported quantities, I'm not aware of an easy way to do that. But you already know that radians and degrees are supported.

This is a long shot, but maybe you'd be interested in FormulaLookup. You can specify a RequiredPhysicalQuantities option.

I think I must be missing something, because it sounds like you already know how to solve your problem. Maybe you can restate your question. Are you asking how to interpret "semicircular arc with a radius of 220 m"? Or how to turn that into an arclength? Maybe you can narrow down the text of the problem to specifically what you're asking about.

POSTED BY: Eric Rimbey
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract