4 Replies
|
2 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Automatic Activation on many Macs

Posted 10 years ago

Hey guys,

I need to get Mathematica 9.0.1 on to multiple computers on my campus. Everything for the PCs is set up already, but I'm running into one issue with the Mac setup. My campus uses the CasperSuites software to package and deploy our academic software to the various Macs we have, and I have somewhat successfully packaged the Mathematica software. When I deploy it to a computer remotely, it installs fine, but upon launch is asking the user to activate their product. Now, my campus has a License manager set up on our licensing server, so is there anyway I can set this up so that when Mathematica installs, it will automatically point to the server and activate without any user input?

Thanks in advance,

Luke

POSTED BY: Luke Bock
4 Replies

One can put a mathpass file with just
!servername
into the installation .app, so it is copied around with the rest of the installation.

On Macintosh, the directory to put mathpass in is
   /Applications/Mathematica.app/Configuration/Licensing/

There may already be a "playerpass" file there. Leave it alone.

POSTED BY: Bruce Miller

I've never heard of Casper Suites before. Usually what happens is that you write a bash script or some other script that moves the file over and run it as an installation.

POSTED BY: Sean Clarke

Yes.

The licensing is stored in a file called mathpass. There are two folders on every machine where they may be located. One location which works for the entire machine and one location that specific to a login. On Windows Vista, 7, and 8, the mathpass file may be located at:

• C:\ProgramData\Mathematica\Licensing\mathpass
  • C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Mathematica\Licensing\mathpass where <user> is your username on the computer.

On Windows XP, the mathpass file may be located at:

• C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Mathematica\Licensing\mathpass
  • C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Mathematica\Licensing\mathpass where <user> is your username on the computer.

On Mac OS X, the mathpass file may be located at:

• /Library/Mathematica/Licensing/mathpass
  • ~/Library/Mathematica/Licensing/mathpass

On Linux, the mathpass file may be located at:

• /usr/share/Mathematica/Licensing/mathpass
  • ~/.Mathematica/Licensing/mathpass

Install and activate Mathematica on a single machine. After that, you will find the mathpass file in one of the directories mentioned. You can open it with a basic text editor. If you are using MathLM, it will be blank except for and exclamation mark and the sever name.

You can activate other copies of Mathematica by copying this file to other machines in the directories listed. Most likely, you will want to copy them to the first directory listed in each case, which is the directory accessible by anyone using the machine.

If you have any questions about this, you may want to contact Wolfram Technical Support who can answer more about it.

POSTED BY: Sean Clarke
Posted 10 years ago

Hey Sean,

Thanks for the quick response!

I'm not sure if you're familiar with Casper Suites or not, but do you know if there is a way I can deploy Mathematica with it that would include the mathpass file?

I installed Mathematica manually on this machine, and pointed the licensing to our server with MathLM on it. I moved the Mathematica folder from ~/Library to /Library and the mathpass is in /Library/Mathematica/Licensing like you said, but I need that file to copy over when I deply.

POSTED BY: Luke Bock
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract