|
4 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

logic formula doesn't work in Wolfram Alpha

Posted 1 year ago

(s => !r) && (r && !v => u) && (!t && !r => w or u) && (!x => !u) && (r => x xor s) && (v => t xor r) && (w => v) && (x => t) && (t => !v && r)

Doesn't work with or without a preceding "truth table". Is there a maximum length? I am trying to formalize the following equation:

(if s then (not r)) and ((if r and not v) then u) and ((if not t and not r) then w or u) and (if not x then not u) and (if r then either t or s) and (if v then either t or r) and (if w then v) and (if x then t) and (if t then (not v) and r)

POSTED BY: G Henry
4 Replies
Posted 1 year ago

Good idea! And thanks again!

Posted 1 year ago

I don't know, probably can't really know. Maybe someone with more internal information could provide a more definite answer, but likely not. It was simply an accident that I happened to stumble onto this solution. I have seen a few times in the past where WA seemed to treat some names differently from others. I would watch for x,y,z if you are not expecting those to be generic numeric values. Watch for e,i,n,m. You might watch for other one or two or three character names that tend to have an agreed on definition or use in mathematics or elsewhere. I'm really glad that it worked out for you.

POSTED BY: Bill Nelson
Posted 1 year ago

Bingo - problem solved! Thanks a million times!

So Wolfram-Alpha assigns a special meaning to 'x' ? Are there any other letters I have to be careful with?

Posted 1 year ago

When I changed the name x to p your problem appeared to work in WolframAlpha and generated your truth table. Removing "truth table" from that input results in showing the various minimal forms.

I removed as much white space and condensed that as much as I was able. The input line length is still 115 characters and that is very close to the upper limit of line length that I have seen work dependably in the past.

Please check all this very carefully to make certain that I have not made a mistake

WAlink

POSTED BY: Bill Nelson
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract