Message Boards Message Boards

Solve error: not quantified system

Posted 1 year ago

Hello, enter image description here

How can this system of 7 equations with 7 unknowns be solved in Wolfram Mathematica?
is it possible to be solved this with Mathematica software?

Wolfram Mathematica 12 Notebook file attached.

Thank you.

Attachments:
POSTED BY: Cornel B.
9 Replies
Posted 1 year ago

Click on https://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/Solve.html

Click on the orange Details and Options

Read the items that document the Solve behavior when domain information is included.

POSTED BY: Bill Nelson
Posted 1 year ago

enter image description here

I understand that it falls under point 1 of those listed above by me. I understand correctly, right?

1. Only the variables in the 7 equations are restricted to be real, but the solutions of the system of equations are not restricted to be real (for example, they can be complex values as well, if such values exist)
Posted 1 year ago

I think it actually refers to point 2 that Reals from Solve[{},{}, Reals] (I saw this recently in a youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_155Zu-al3A&t=529s (8:30-8:50 min)):

Only the solutions of the system of equations are restricted to be real, but the variables in the 7 equations are not restricted to be real.

Sorry, I use Wolfram only recently...

Then another question is if I want to set a condition for some variables in equations Eq1,...,Eq7, for example, to restrict L1 and L2 to be positive numbers (L1 >0, L2>0) or real (L1 - Real, L2 - Real), how do I do that?

Posted 1 year ago

Another question is: if I want to set a condition for some variables in equations Eq1,...,Eq7, for example, to restrict L1 and L2 to be positive numbers (L1 >0, L2>0) or real (L1 - Real, L2 - Real), how do I do that?

With corrected syntax:

POSTED BY: Mariusz Iwaniuk
Posted 1 year ago

Ok. Thank you.

That Reals from Solve introduced, means that:

1. All the variables in the 7 equations: iL1c, iL1s, iL2c, iL2s, vC1c, vC1s, vCF, C1, L1, L2, CF, vg and ws, are real, but the solution of the system of equations: iL1c, iL1s, iL2c, iL2s, vC1c, vC1s, vCF can be Complex as well? or
  2. The solutions of the system of equations: iL1c, iL1s, iL2c, iL2s, vC1c, vC1s, vCF, are real, but iL1c, iL1s, iL2c, iL2s, vC1c, vC1s, vCF, C1, L1, L2, CF, vg and ws can be as well Complex in the Eq1,....,Eq7? or
  3. All the variables in the 7 equations: iL1c, iL1s, iL2c, iL2s, vC1c, vC1s, vCF, C1, L1, L2, CF, vg and ws, are real and the solutions of the system of equations iL1c, iL1s, iL2c, iL2s, vC1c, vC1s, vCF, are real?
Posted 1 year ago

@Mariusz Ivaniuk

What I want to ask is:

1. Only the variables in the 7 equations are restricted to be real, but the solutions of the system of equations are not restricted to be real (for example, they can be complex values as well, if such values exist)? or
  2. Only the solutions of the system of equations are restricted to be real, but the variables in the 7 equations are not restricted to be real? or
  3. Both the variables in the 7 equations and the solutions of the system of equations are restricted to be real?

I tried with Reduce command, with 2 hours computation Reduce not give me any answer!

With numerics is easy to compute:

POSTED BY: Mariusz Iwaniuk
Posted 1 year ago

Oh, yes, with numeric values the results are probably easy (as you said) to compute, but beside the numeric results, I want firstly to have the symbolic results. Matlab, Maple, and even Mathcad can solve symbolically this system of equations. Another question here will be: if we restrict the result to be a real one (and that is because Mathematica cannot solve symbolically this system of equations if we do not restrict the results to be real ones), and at some point we want to have/see even the complex results (of course, if they exist) of this system of equations, then what will we do? Or, maybe we can hope that system of equations like above one to have only the results that are real.

Also, do you know the answer for this question: if I want to set a condition for some variables in equations Eq1,...,Eq7, for example, to restrict L1 and L2 to be positive numbers (L1 >0, L2>0), how do I do that?

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract