|
4 Replies
|
6 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

[Resolved] Paclet's Custom Documentation Not Searchable

Posted 1 year ago

I have a large documentation set (68 files) for my development paclet/package in Mathematica 13.2 on Windows.

1. Each page in the documentation set has a set of Keywords listed in the v13.2 templates
  2. PacletInfo file uses the standard "Documentation" extension
  3. Using PacletDocumentationBuild and PacletBuild to generate the paclet
  4. Installing the Paclet using PacletInstall
  5. Paclet shows up in the Paclets\Repository in my profile as installed and works perfectly

Documentation pages, however, are not searchable. A search for my paclet name, or anything like it, generates the first (alphabetical) Tech Note (Tutorial) in my document set and nothing else. F1 does not work on function names in my notebooks and the info button does not bring up the reference page, but does the search on the function name, whcih does not yield any meaningful results.

First time search in the Documentation Center does not yield a re-indexing pop-up like it used to. If I check $UserBaseDirectory<>"/Logs/DocumentationSearch/MissingIndexCreation.m" There are no entries when the v13.2 paclet is loaded.

I've tried shutting Mathematica completely down and re-launching to no avail.

The search indices are being created in the build/documentation directory, but it looks like the search index files are going unnoticed by the Documentation Center.

What am I missing? Is there a way to force the Documentation Center to see these local index files?

Thanks, Jeff

POSTED BY: Jeffery Henning
4 Replies

Hi again Jeff,

This bug is now fixed properly, and the fix was released as a dynamic paclet update yesterday, as PacletTools v13.2.1.1.

To ensure you have the latest version, evaluate:

PacletInstall["PacletTools"]

And verify that the resulting PacletObject says "Version: 13.2.1.1".

Note: You may need to restart your Kernel session for the new update to become visible.

Please let me know if you run into any issues with the update.

Thanks,

Connor

POSTED BY: Connor Gray

I'll give that a try. I was always using a two-step process to build the docs and then build the paclet. I'll try it all in one go. Thanks.

Hi Jeff,

This sounds like a known bug in the PacletDocumentationBuild incremental re-build logic; a fix is in the works, but for now a workaround is possible.

The issue is that when an incremental documentation build is done, search index data is only created for files that have changed since the last build. If no files have changed, then the search index will be empty. (You observed that the search index files exist, but it's likely that they're empty.) If you delete your build output directory, then call PacletBuild exactly once, a full rebuild will be done, and consequently the built paclet will have documentation search index data for all doc files. If you install that built .paclet file, documentation search and symbol lookup should work as expected.

I'll update this thread again once a fix has been released.

POSTED BY: Connor Gray

That did it. I also had a minor error in my Overview page that I was ignoring as inconsequential. That may have been derailing the indexing. I removed the Overview page and it's all indexing properly. Now to fix that issue.

Thanks for the tip.

Jeff

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract