Message Boards Message Boards

What GPU will be best for ML and/or NN?

Posted 1 year ago

Hello, I have a PC with 2 NVIDIA A30 cards, and I want to expand it for better performance with the GPU computation support.
What numbers Mathematica is actually using for GPU computations single precision or double precision?
Should I get an additional A30 card or switch to e.g. RTX 3090? I didn't manage to find any precise information about that area in Mathematica software, so that's why I am asking.

Any suggestion will be appreciated,
Luke

POSTED BY: Lukasz Szyszka

Mathematica ( and nearly all other programs) never use the graphics card if the CPU has a GPU unit. If there is no GPU in the CPU, only the standard VGA part plus memory is used.

In order to use capabilities of separate graphics cards, in Mathematica, you have to use the CUDA or OpenGL links and write your own procedures.

All these expensive computers with graphics cards are the same marketing stuff we know now for 27 years: Before anybody is coming to the point of using the extra hardware it is outdated.

Only if you have plans to work with expensive graphics software using the graphics card, mainly games, buy a RTX. Otherwise a cheap 730 or 1600 series will do.

POSTED BY: Roland Franzius
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract