|
0 Replies
|
2 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Ancestries of Asian x American persimmon hybrids

Posted 1 year ago

Lately I've been assisting a group of fruit breeding hobbyists in the U.S. They are concerned with continuing work initially performed in Japan and Ukraine with cold-hardy, less astringent, and hybrid Asian (Diospyros kaki) x American (Diospyros virginiana) persimmons. Their goals include increased cold-hardiness (below -30F) and "pollen constant" non-astringent cultivars.

I began by helping them assemble a spreadsheet listing the cultivars, along with ancestries and traits. Here is a "live" read-only link to that data (a google sheet) from which you can use the File menu to make your own copy, download as a TSV file, etc.

U.S. Hybrid persimmons list

I also wrote a Mathematica program to create a visualization of the data. The latter has been useful in double-checking the worksheet and helping this group of breeders visualize what they're starting with and where they are going. That program is in this google drive zip file, which is occassionally updated:

Hybrid persimmons in U.S. circulation.zip

Perhaps the code will be of help to some readers here. You will notice my programming style is "check-as-you-go" instead of one big line that does everything at once.

Here is a view of the current image. Some definitions are in the spreadsheet above.

Hybrid Persimmons in U.S. circulation

POSTED BY: Richard Frost
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract