|
3 Replies
|
2 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Several Mathematica keyboard shortcuts don't work

Posted 1 year ago

I have an Estonian keyboard layout and some keyboard shortcuts don't work, e.g. "Inline Free-form Input Ctrl+=" or "Un/Comment Selection Alt+/" (these shortcuts are the ones written in the menu). The computer has Windows 10, Mathematica 13.2.1.0.

To try to insert "Ctrl+=", I press Ctrl+Shift+0 on my keyboard layout (since Shift+0 gives me =, see the layout below), but nothing happens. If I use this command from the Insert menu (by clicking on it) it works fine, or if I set the Windows keyboard layout to US English and push the corresponding US layout keys instead (so some other physical keys on my keyboard), it works (also pushing the same physical keys I used for the US layout while on the Estonian layout they don't work).

To un/comment I try to insert "Alt+/", so I press Alt+Shift+7, but also nothing happens (I removed the shortcut for Format->Style CodeText, because the shortcut for that was also Alt+Shift+7).

However, at the same time some other shortcuts work, i.e. insert "Fraction Ctrl+/" works when I press Ctrl+Shift+7, also Format->Style "Larger Alt+=" works if I press Alt+Shift+0.

Does anyone know why some shortcuts with / or = work and others don't on my keyboard layout?

Estonian keyboard layout

POSTED BY: Andy P
3 Replies

In

C:\Program Files\Wolfram Research\Mathematica\13.2\SystemFiles\FrontEnd\TextResources\Windows\MenuSetup.tr

I have tried several keyboard combinations to replace

"=", Modifyer->{"Control"}

by other key combinations on a German keyboard.

None using the "=" key is working.

The reason is simple: On a German keyboard the equal key "=" is { "0", Modifier->{"Shift"}}.

But "0", Modifyer->{"Control"} is the standard Windows shortcut to reset magnification to default in the active window.

Wolfram should try to avoid shortcuts from the shifted series of keys on non-english windows installations.

Roland

POSTED BY: Roland Franzius
Posted 1 year ago

Thanks for the suggestion, I managed to get Ctrl+Shift+0 working. I had "Not Assigned" as the Windows layout switching shortcut before but switching it to something and back to not assigned now this shortcut is working in Mathematica.

For the Alt+Shift+7 I noticed that after changing this shortcut for Format->Style->CodeText as described here https://mathematica.stackexchange.com/questions/28286/add-keyboard-shortcut-to-the-displayformula-style that I had to restart my notebook and then this shortcut now works for un/comment (didn't restart before).

So this style shortcut was overriding the "Un/Comment Selection Alt+/" shortcut and by changing it now all shortcuts seem to be working.

POSTED BY: Andy P

Windows is probably still setup to consume some of these key sequences for switching languages. Ctrl + Shift + 0 happens to be the most common collision with the system. You can find that setting in Settings app > (Win10 -> Devices, Win11 -> Time & Language) > Typing > Advanced keyboard settings and then click on "Input language hot keys".

POSTED BY: Ian Hojnicki
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract