|
|
5 Replies
|
1 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Mesh for a fabric pattern

I have long argued that every marriage can be improved by the addition of Mathematica. Here is my latest attempt. My wife is making a Memorial Day quilt pattern which has a focal point composed of 16 irregular polygons, thus

enter image description here

Finding the size of those polygons involves no more than having the points of the polygon corners. So far, Binarize, DiscretizeGraphics, ImageCorners, ImageLines and various combinations of them have all failed to create a mesh for this image so I can grab the points with my cursor, or otherwise.

I also suspect that Mathematica can also count all the stars, but first things first...

POSTED BY: Roger J Brown
5 Replies

Just noticed Ahmed's response. The notebooks are attached to the prior post

Ahmed - Any further thoughts on this?

Hi Roger,

Unfortunately, not as I didn't have enough time to deeply look into this. Let's hope other community members can give some insight on this after sharing your code.

POSTED BY: Ahmed Elbanna

Ahmed

Glad you asked. I think you and Wolfram both will be interested in this story.

Like most people I use an uninterruptable power supply (UPS) for battery back up and surge protection. The Mfg is APC and the model number is BVN650M1. Now, you ask, why should I care? Read on.

Attached are two notebooks. I presume you have the original graphic from my post as I had to remove it from the notebook to meet size limitations on this post. I was working on the first one, fabric1.nb, when my UPS emitted the telltale failure whistle and began blinking signaling a battery failure. I recognized this sound as I had only replaced it 60 days ago. Naturally I wanted to know what my warranty was. I shut everything down, contacted APC and they walked me through some in-place testing, concluded it was a battery failure, asked for and received a copy of my receipt dated in January and a new one is on its way as I type this. Because I have an entire separate computer system running Linux that is back-up for my Windows system, I was able to "borrow" its UPS for my Windows box and continue working.

Of course I went back to fabric1.nb, taking up where I left off. I evaluated fabric1.nb and WHAT DO YOU THINK HAPPENED??????????????????? YOU GUESSED IT - THE SECOND UPS BLEW UP. I hit Abort in the Mathematica menu and the whistle stopped. I evaluated the cell and it started again. I aborted and it stopped. I shut down the kernel and opened a new file (attached) as fabric2.nb wherein I tried putting Gridlines on top of the image to identify the corners. Not a great strategy, I know. Time consuming and tedious, the night got late and I put it aside.

So, I now have two questions...

RJB

Attachments:

Hi Roger,
Could you please share the notebook of your trials with us?

POSTED BY: Ahmed Elbanna
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract