Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
2 Replies
|
1 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Creating objects and superscripts interpretation?

Create an encapsulated object

I want to create an object in Wolfram Mathematica in Box form like InterpolatingFunction as following notebook. I tried Box and some other methods but failed. InputForm and FullForm of this expression seems do not give much useful information.

Change Interpretation

The Mathematica will interpret input ctrl+6 into power like following:

Can I change the interpretation into Superscript[x,2]?

Superscript and Subscript

In Mathematica, I find something weird for superscript and subscript.

Superscript[x,a] is allowed but Superscript[x,a,b] not.

Subscript[x,a,b,c...] is allowed not matter how long the sequence is.

I thought superscript and subscript should be "equal" in some way.

I tried Wolfram-script, where Superscript can accept many arguments: enter image description here

It seems it's not allowed in Mathematica only.

POSTED BY: Bowen Ping
2 Replies

In modern mathematics there exists a l conflict since the 1930's between the classical notation of powers (Count of equal factors in a an Orderless function Times) and the TensorAlgebra notation of tensors in a pair of dual spaces of vectors and their projection functions to the coordinates. i Vectors are the generalization of dirctinal derivatives, their duals are the directional differentials in line integrals, in short

int  D f[x^1,--.], x^i ] dx^i  == f[x^1,--]   

Einsteins most ingenious idea was probable to get rid of the clumsy Leibniz-Euler notation with these intimidating sum and Int symbols and their appendices and reduce that central formula of calculus to

f_,k dx^k  = f

where summation or integration or both over equal "dummy" (meaning local ) upper and lower indices is implied and indices after the comma are coordinate indices of partial derivatives.

For a CAS system to be taylored to the use by the worldwide community of applied mathematics in an open field of ever growing specialized model mathematics, the symmetrical use of sub- and superscripts would shrink the market to a handful of abstractly working mathematicians and physicists.

So the Ricci-Einstein-Cartan display form of calculus is packed and outsurced to a special paclet.

At least, such a packet makes sense only if sub- and superscripted entities can be declared as atomically symbols for pattern matching. Times and Power has to be replaced by non-Orderless constructs like TensorProduct in order to guarantee strict 1-1 map between basis coordinate variables and their index, sub, or superscript numbers .

With these conceptual guidelines, I suppose, Wolfram decided to implement the Superscript use to the special Einstein case of denoting the indexed derivatives of a function via sequences of the integer order of differentiations in each variable.

Derivative[2,3][f][x^2+ a, y-x ]  ->   f^(2,3)[x^2+ a,y-x] 

There exists no extra ^ key to differentiate in input between Power, Derivative and Superscript.

Could simply by implemented, I suppose, as an escape sequence. But without an elaborated algebra on a class of such symbolized, atomized expressions, its use is restricted to pretty printing.enter code here

POSTED BY: Roland Franzius

Hi Roland, thank you.

When I was programming a package for tensor calculations in General Relativity, I tried to find ways to input multi-superscripts with shortcut Ctrl + 6 to make more readable expressions. Finally I find another way to solve the conflict. But I am still in search of a more elegant way to solve the problem.

I see there is a way to input multi-superscripts in the Documentation, which does not really work in Mathematica. That's inconsistent.

https://reference.wolfram.com/language/tutorial/TwoDimensionalExpressionInput.html#453224886

The content is :

enter image description here

I tried but failed, no matter the comma is invisible or not.

I'm waiting for a more elegant way to solve the superscript conflict. And in fact, I'd like to make contributions if I could.

POSTED BY: Bowen Ping
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract