Message Boards Message Boards

Parametric Plot 3D error in heat equation in polar coordinates

As I posted in Parametric Plot 3D error in heat equation in polar coordinates They tried to explain me but I have confused worst now.

So the problem is the following

$ \begin{align} u_t&=v*(u_{rr}+r^{-1}u_r), \quad 0\leq r <a , t>0\\ u(r,0)&=f(r)\\ u(a,t)&=0 ,\quad t \geq0 \end{align}$

We know that $f(r)=J_0(x_{01}r)$, where $x_{01}$ is the first positive root of the Bessel Function and $a=v=1$

Solution

Now we solve the problem with the method separation of variables. Let $$u(r)=R(r)T(t).$$ Then, $$R(r)T'(t)=R''(r)T(t)+r^{-1} R'(r)T(t)$$ We divide both sides with $R(r)T(t)$. Thus, $$\frac{T'(t)}{T(t)}=\frac{R''(r)}{R(r)}+r^{-1}\frac{R'(r)}{R(r)}=-\lambda$$. So we have the following two equations $$r\cdot R''(r)+R'(r)+\lambda\cdot r R(r)=0, \quad 0<r<1 \tag 1$$ It is Sturm Liouville problem, from which we can conclude the weight function is $w=r$. We change variables $x=k \cdot r$ then we obtain $$x\bar{R''}+bar{R'}+x\bar{R}=0 \tag2$$. The equation $(2)$ has as solution the Bessel function $\bar{R}=J_0(x)=J_0(kr)$.

The boundary condition $u(a,t)=0, t \geq 0$ become $R(a)=0$, so $J_0(ka)=0$. That means $k \cdot a$ must be the root of the Bessel function with zero order.

$$k_m \cdot a= x_{0m}, \quad m=1,2,...$$.

Now $W'(t)+\lambda W(t)=0$ has general solution $$W(t)=c_1 e^{-\lambda \cdot t} \tag3$$ Then we have $$W(t)=c_1 e^{-k_n^2 \cdot t}$$ Now from superposition, the general solution to the problem will be $$u(r,t)=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} d_m \cdot e^{-k_n^2 \cdot t} \cdot J_0(k_m r)$$ and the coefficient will be $$d_m=\frac{2 \int_{0}^{a} r \cdot f(r) \cdot J_0(k_m r) dr}{a^2 J_1^2(x_m )}, where \quad k_m=\frac{x_{0m}}{a}$$ Now I am trying to write the Mathematica code

a = 1;
x0[m_] := N[BesselJZero[0, m]]
(*d definition of the function f(r)*)

f[r_] := BesselJ[0, x0[1]*r]
k[m_] := x0[m]/a
(* Computation of the Fourier coefficients*)
d[m_] := (2 \!\(
\*SubsuperscriptBox[\(\[Integral]\), \(0\), \(a\)]\(r*
    BesselJ[0, k[m]*r]\ *f[r] \[DifferentialD]r\)\))/(
 a^2*BesselJ[1, x0[m]]^2)
(*Construction of the exact solution*)

u[r_, t_, m_] := d[m]*E^(-k[m]^2*t)*BesselJ[0, k[m]*r]
uapprox[r_, t_] = \!\(
\*UnderoverscriptBox[\(\[Sum]\), \(n = 1\), \(10\)]\(u[r, t, n]\)\);
(*Graph of the exact solution*)
Manipulate[
 ParametricPlot3D[{r*Cos[\[Theta]], r*Sin[\[Theta]], 
   uapprox[r, t]}, {r, 0, 1}, {\[Theta], 0, 2 Pi}, 
  PlotRange -> {-1.2, 1.2}, BoundaryStyle -> Directive[Red, Thick], 
  ColorFunction -> "SolarColors", Mesh -> True], {t, 0, 10, 0.0001}]

graphs = 
 Table[ParametricPlot3D[{r*Cos[\[Theta]], r*Sin[\[Theta]], 
   ColorFunction -> "SolarColors"], {t, 0, 2.5, 2.5/8}]

Animate[ParametricPlot3D[{r*Cos[\[Theta]], r*Sin[\[Theta]], 
  ColorFunction -> "SolarColors", Mesh -> True], {t, 0, 10, 0.0001}]

When I try to run ParametricPlot3D gives me. Could anyone explain to me, please, why I received that answer?

enter image description here

I think I found the solution as the notebook shows. Could anyone verify my solution, please?

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract