Message Boards Message Boards

ListPlot3D fills in non-convex base

Posted 1 year ago

Here's a example, much simplified from what I'm actually working on.
data is a list of {x,y,z}'s. If I project data onto the xy plane, the result is a non-convex area (actually, two disks just touching). But ListPlot3D[data] fills in the non-convexity.

The documentation of ListPlot3D includes an example with "holes". But the data in that example is in a different form.

I gotta believe this is a bug.

POSTED BY: David Golber
4 Replies
Posted 1 year ago

Reading closely, the documentation does not claim to handle non-convexity correctly when the data is given in the form of my original notebook. If I switch to the form of data in the documentation, I get the expected graph. (But I still complain that the result should not depend on exactly what form the data is given in. And why not show the x-axis with x increasing from left to right, as is customary on most of this planet.)

Posted 1 year ago

And why not show the x-axis with x increasing from left to right, as is customary on most of this planet.

In 3D plots the option AxesEdge specifies placement of the axes. Check this:

ListPlot3D[data,DataRange->{{-2,2},{-2,2}},AxesEdge->{{-1,-1},{-1,-1},{-1,-1}}]
POSTED BY: Hans Milton
Posted 1 year ago

Thanks ...

Posted 1 year ago

Aaaaand ...here's why the ability to handle non-convexity differs depending on the way the data is presented: If the data is presented as an rectangular array of values, then it is clear what is "missing" value. But if the array is presented as a lists of {x,y,z}'s, then there's no way to tell the difference between a missing value which should be left as a hole, and someting that needs to be filled. in.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract