Message Boards Message Boards

Mathematica license and professional grade neural networks

Posted 1 year ago

The three hundred articles in John Baez's This Week's Finds in Mathematical Physics comprise an excellent resource but lack an index. I recently began looking at doing the project in Mathematica to become a better Mathematica programmer. After creating two versions, I began using ChatGPT to see what type of NLP system it would recommend. Mathematica has benefitted greatly from its incarnation as Wolfram Alpha and ChatGPT is amazing at offering Mathematica help and identifying the exact Mathematica function you need. This all dovetails into the LLM course now being taught which is based on very advanced text processing.

My issue is that I feel I am crossing a boundary from being a hobbyist to a professional in my utilization of Mathematica. I am retired and serve as an angel developer. I don't have money to provide, but I do have forty years of experience as a developer. I have little money to spend and I support folks who likewise have little money. I'm afraid I can't allow myself to become dependent on using Mathematica - marrying myself to technology I can't afford. I just received a notice that my Wolfram Cloud resource limits have been decreased. I'm not sure if the issue is with me personally or is a realignment of Wolfram's price structure. Unfortunately, I think there is considerable merit in moving from Mathematica to Python in order to build and work with professional-grade neural networks.

POSTED BY: Daniel Geisler
4 Replies

Thank you for your response, Daniel. At the moment I am using a complimentary copy of Mathematica with the understanding that I contribute to the Mathematica community. If I were to write a successful programmatically generated indexer, I would definitely share it here and maybe as a Wolfram Demonstration Project.

POSTED BY: Daniel Geisler

If it could be packaged as a stand-alone function I would recommend submitting it to the Wolfram Function Repository.

POSTED BY: Daniel Lichtblau

I cannot reply wrt. to the financial issue today. When I ordered 25 campus licenses two decades ago the price was at some hunded $ and I financed it as a part of the departments student PC pool , primarily used for my courses in Mathematical Physics + CAS. Today the licenses are updated and widely used by everyone in the staff via home use licenses.

Today the ever growing Mathematica complex with prices in the thousands, I just can afford a private student or emeritus licence renewal together with the next hardware generation.

Of course, one can not ask German students to pay such an amount for just one course. In Germany, school and university is free of charge for everyone, it simply does not work on a private profit base.

The other quaestion with an index: Some years ago I prepared an index for a ready written manuscript by three lines im Mathematica , taking the word list with positions, selecting the Complement with the word list from another faculty. There is no need of intelligence.

In the case of a book, the publisher feeds the wordlist into a professional editor system. The problem with non-English languages are the flection forms, but in most cases ignoring the end of words works for a Union. So what? Finally a true professional has to do the last editoral steps.

POSTED BY: Roland Franzius

Hi Daniel,

I'm not sure whether you are asking questions per se, but I'll treat this as though you are and try to offer suggestions. First, I agree the Baez columns were fascinating. So if you propose to create an index I would hope people in the mathematical physics community would be appreciative. This could be approached via an LLM-based method. Other ways might involve creating a word-frequency matrix (for which there are numerous variants) and then operating on that matrix e.g. via dimension reduction to try to cluster and/or categorize subsets of articles. I realize this outline is a bit tentative, but it's all I have to offer at this point.

You bring up Cloud credits. I am fairly sure no decreases were made that would only apply to you; if any such change occurred it would apply to a much larger group.

I cannot advise on the relative merits of development with Wolfram platform resources vs Python. I simply lack the experience.

For non-Cloud-based work there is the home desktop version to consider:

https://www.wolfram.com/mathematica/pricing/home-hobby/

I do not (and indeed cannot) speak for my employer in terms of addressing licensing particulars. It occurs to me though that one is perhaps at the level of hobbyist if revenue generated is not adequate to consider a professional version license.

POSTED BY: Daniel Lichtblau
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract