Message Boards Message Boards

100 Math Problems: ChatGPT with Wolfram Plugin versus the Code Interpreter Model

Posted 11 months ago

enter image description here

Attachments:
POSTED BY: Michael Trott
9 Replies

Extending the computational range of ChatGPT-4: optimizing prompts for enhanced performance
https://community.wolfram.com/groups/-/m/t/2944810

Posted 11 months ago

Dear Michael:

I attempt to ask ChatGPT this query. Run this code to solve Hilbert's thirteenth problem, the septic equation. Please see attached file for your reference.

Given. ax^7+bx^6+cx^5+dx^4+ex^3+fx^2+gx^1+h = 0 and x^2+px+r = 0

Find the values of "p" and "r" in terms of "a, b, c, d, e, f, g, and h."

Code:

ClearAll[a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h]; {a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h} = {a, b, c, d, e, 
  f, g, h}; Solve[
 h + 1/2 g (-p + Sqrt[p^2 - 4 r]) + 1/4 f (-p + Sqrt[p^2 - 4 r])^2 + 
    1/8 e (-p + Sqrt[p^2 - 4 r])^3 + 1/16 d (-p + Sqrt[p^2 - 4 r])^4 + 
    1/32 c (-p + Sqrt[p^2 - 4 r])^5 + 1/64 b (-p + Sqrt[p^2 - 4 r])^6 + 
    1/128 a (-p + Sqrt[p^2 - 4 r])^7 == 0 && 
  h + 1/2 g (-p - Sqrt[p^2 - 4 r]) + 1/4 f (-p - Sqrt[p^2 - 4 r])^2 + 
    1/8 e (-p - Sqrt[p^2 - 4 r])^3 + 1/16 d (-p - Sqrt[p^2 - 4 r])^4 + 
    1/32 c (-p - Sqrt[p^2 - 4 r])^5 + 1/64 b (-p - Sqrt[p^2 - 4 r])^6 + 
    1/128 a (-p - Sqrt[p^2 - 4 r])^7 == 0, {p, r}]
Attachments:
POSTED BY: Juan Dela Cruz

Hi Michael,

Just scanning the list, and then, almost randomly, but perhaps subconsciously, clicking the first item to not even really jump out at me, I found my way to intersecting circles.

Intersecting circles is a bit more difficult than intersecting lines, so perhaps the outlook is good for saving time and money on hacker memos by just getting ChatGPT to do it. Not trying to duel or hijack here, just being curious about the future.

In the present work about line intersections, there are issues with canonicalization of vertices, and then DeleteDuplicates broke, leading to a new bug report. Do you have an opinion how much more development needs to be done before ChatGPT can rigorously compute all terms of A187781?

POSTED BY: Brad Klee

I responded to your comment here: https://community.wolfram.com/groups/-/m/t/2934998

Posted 11 months ago

If one writes a code for mathematical evaluation as input, however the output returns no results nor error is ChatGPT with Wolfram Plugin able to
(1) tell the reason behind the output results as per input incorrect syntax
(2) give further correct syntax of the input and correct results of the output ?

POSTED BY: Nomsa Ledwaba
POSTED BY: Peter Burbery

It is the openai plugin structure that 'redacted the output', not the Wolfram plugin and not me personally. I do not know why they do this and I have asked openai about it, but haven't heard back.

enter image description here -- you have earned Featured Contributor Badge enter image description here Your exceptional post has been selected for our editorial column Staff Picks http://wolfr.am/StaffPicks and Your Profile is now distinguished by a Featured Contributor Badge and is displayed on the Featured Contributor Board. Thank you!

POSTED BY: Moderation Team
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract