Message Boards Message Boards

How to find out why my cloud notebook $Failed?

Posted 11 months ago

Hi,

I am an experienced Mathematica programmer but new to the Wolfram cloud. I have a notebook that works correctly on my local machine (MacBook Pro M2; Ventura 13.2.1; Mathematica 13.2). I am trying to get it to run on the Wolfram cloud. I can upload it successfully and open the notebook without problem. But when I scroll to where I expect to see the output of my program (a Manipulate), I get $Failed. When I run the program manually, it completes, but shows no output. I have tried setting MemoryConstrained[..., Infinity] and TimeConstrained[..., Infinity] without success.

I can find no helpful document on $Failed. Can anyone suggest how I can learn more about the failure? More generally, are there Guidelines or Best Practices for moving notebooks to the cloud. I have read the following Wolfram material: [Working in the Cloud][1] and its linked documents and the Wolfram Community Cloud Group posts.

Thanks,

Spencer

Edit:

With the help of support@wolfram.com, I was able to resolve this problem. It turns out that my notebook included a very large image (\ $stars) within the Manipulate. I found a way to generate this image much more parsimoniously (using Point[ImageScaled/@RandomReal[{0, 1}, {n, 2}]] directly). The $Failed reflects my exceeding an internal memory limitation.

POSTED BY: Spencer Rugaber
4 Replies

Hi Spencer,

Could you please include your notebook or code to your post?

Have you tried to evaluate your Manipulate on your desktop first with the option SaveDefinitions->True ?
This will allow your Manipulate output to work on fresh kernels and Cloud.

POSTED BY: Ahmed Elbanna

Hi,

Thanks for your response. The notebook has SaveDefinitions->True. It runs fine on my desktop. I have uploaded a copy to URI https://www.wolframcloud.com/obj/spencer1/Public/failed.nb. Note: I have tried to make it publicly visible. Please let me know if you have trouble accessing it.
Thanks.
Spencer

Posted 11 months ago

Works OK for me on desktop, but in the cloud manipulate gives $Failed as output. This message appears and could be a hint to the cause:

enter image description here

POSTED BY: Hans Milton

Yes. I saw that as well. I selected "Try to Render Anyway", and the notebook displayed. However, I still see the "$Failed" when the Manipulate executes. Any thoughts?

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract