Message Boards Message Boards

NEW Stephen Wolfram book—The Second Law: Resolving the Mystery of the Second Law of Thermodynamics

enter image description here

Ever since it was first formulated a century and a half ago, the Second Law of thermodynamics (or "law of entropy increase") has had an air of mystery about it. Why is it true? Is it even always true? In this book, Stephen Wolfram builds on recent breakthroughs in the foundations of physics to finally provide a resolution to the mystery of the Second Law, elegantly showing how it emerges as a general feature of processes that can be described computationally as well as their interplay with our computational characteristics as observers.

ORDER NOW: https://www.amazon.com/Second-Law-Resolving-Mystery-Thermodynamics/dp/1579550835

For Wolfram, the effort to understand the Second Law has been a 50-year quest, beginning when he was 12 years old. In the book, Wolfram tells the story of this quest as well as traces the whole remarkable history of the Second Law. Written with great clarity and richly illustrated with both striking modern diagrams and extensive historical material, this book will be of interest to anyone who wants to understand the foundations and origins of one of the most important and widely applied principles of modern science.

enter image description here

POSTED BY: Paige Vigliarolo
3 Replies
Anonymous User
Anonymous User
Posted 8 months ago

I haven't read the book, but I am assuming it is based on his writings back in February and I am commenting with those writings in mind. The thing that is still puzzling about the second law is that regardless of whether or not the laws are reversible, it is still an open question on if it is possible to have observers in our universe that, to our perspective, are traveling "backwards" in time. What I mean is that it is easy enough to run a tape backwards in time to get this kind of behavior, and similarly, you could extrapolate to simulated minds on a computer running backwards in time from our perspective. The question then becomes, why do I experience time flowing forwards instead of backwards? You could easily say that the observer is actually being resurrected from the dead and then enters the womb, with his memories gradually being erased, but we do not "experience" time in this manner. In this sense, there seems to be a "directionality" to how we perceive time itself. In fact, I do not know if it is possible to experience the reverse, that is being resurrected from the dead, since from our perspective, they are just going about life as usual, in the "forwards" direction. But then what would happen to simulated observers that are running backwards in time? Do they experience time flowing in the reverse direction? Or is such a simulation impossible? Unless, there is a real directionality to time itself, and that the future and past are distinct in this manner. If the future exists, then there would seem to be a valid observer that concludes that he/she is being resurrected from the dead and traveling backwards in time rather than perceiving time in the forwards direction.

POSTED BY: Anonymous User
Posted 8 months ago

The book seems to be out of stock on amazon.ca.

Would be great if you guys could make it available there!

POSTED BY: Vince Nguyen

It should be back in stock on amazon.ca soon!

POSTED BY: Paige Vigliarolo
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract