Connect with users of Wolfram technologies to learn, solve problems and share ideas
Mark as an Answer
1 Total Likes
Follow this post
Share this post:
Building the corpus of network computer science (NCS) with Mathematica
Remi Barrere, Academic
11 years ago
The use of local or global (Internet) networks has expanded since about 20 years, as a ground swell which is deeply transforming computer science, switchng from machine computer science to network (or mixed machine-network) computer science. Such a transformation entails not only technical improvements and innovations but also theoretical and linguistic questions regarding the description and the modelling of those network features: scattered or shared data or algorithms, reference to URL beyond file names and file paths, resort to information or even knowledge stored on the web, issues with the location and evolution of such ressources...
Mathematica participates into this scientific and technical revolution with a growing number of features that involve networks: grid computing, WolframAlpha, database access and now online Mathematica. I would not hesitate to bet on Mathematica (as a language and as an interface) to develop (at least contribute to develop) the corpus of this emerging network computer science. Hence the proposal of a discussion thread dedicated to this question.
Possible topics or questions are (but are not limited to):
- historical aspects (Arpanet...);
- the role of OS and how they should evolve;
- local or network project management with Mathematica;
- product lifecycle management (PLM);
- which extensions of the Mathematica language are required for network programming?
- which novel notebook interface would allow both local and network computation or navigation?
- which online features do we expect (access to / edition of notebooks or packages, courses, online books; management of structured sets of documents...)?
- which structures and interface features would facilitate the collective work of knowledge communities?
- what could be the combined roles of database programming and logic programming for information or knowledge processing?
Reply to this discussion
in reply to
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the
Tag limit exceeded
Note: Only the first five people you tag will receive an email notification; the other tagged names will appear as links to their profiles.
Add a file to this post
Follow this discussion
Be respectful. Review our
to understand your role and responsibilities.
Wolfram|Alpha Notebook Edition
Volume & Site Licensing
Enterprise Private Cloud
Service Plans Benefits
Wolfram Language Documentation
Wolfram Language Introductory Book
Get Started with Wolfram
Fast Introduction for Programmers
Fast Introduction for Math Students
Webinars & Training
Connected Devices Project
Wolfram Data Drop
Wolfram + Raspberry Pi
. All rights reserved.
Learn how »