|
6 Replies
|
3 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Fixing old code that doesn't work on V13.3

Posted 3 months ago

I have been given a file from an older mathmatica version and my task is to get it working in mathmatica 13.3. While using the //Echo, I noticed that the code below is not computing the values for the variables, but just passing off a place holder and giving error messages. I am struggling to understand why that is and how to fix it. This module should function as the main algorithm for a heap sorting and fast marching on a rasterized image. I would appreciate any assistance or advice

findDistances {bandheap,len=Length[ll],wid=Length[ll[[1]]],hsize,hindex=0,distancetable,statetable,frozen=-1.,far=300.,band=0.,outofbounds=1000.,dist,maxpixval=255.,minpixval=0.,midpixval,heaptable,j1,j2,nbrs,pt,x,y,x1,y1,x2,y2,next,prev,done}, (Make sure everything in here is intuallzed and called correctlly) (Initializations.)

midpixval=(maxpixval-minpixval); distancetable =Map[If[#>midpixval,maxpixval,minpixval]&,ll,{2}]; statetable=Map[If[#1>1,far,frozen]&,distancetable,{2}]; heaptable=Table[0,{len},{wid}]; hsize=len*wid; bandheap=Table[{0.,0.,0.},{hsize}];

(Initialize the band by placing all neighbors of frozen cells thereon.) Do[ If[statetable[[ii,jj]]=!=frozen,Continue[]]; nbrs={{ii,jj+1},{ii,jj-1},{ii-1,jj},{ii+1,jj}};

Do[ {x,y}=nbrs[[kk]]; If[! (0<x<=len&&0<y<=wid&&Echo[statetable[[x,y]]]==far),Continue[]]; hindex++; statetable[[x,y]]=band; dist=newDistance[x,y,statetable,distancetable]; distancetable[[x,y]]=dist; bandheap[[hindex]]={dist,N[x],N[y]}; j1=hindex;

(Place each neighbor to the frozen cell on the end of the band heap. Then move it upward to the appropriate location.) While[ (j2=Floor[j1/2])>=1&&bandheap[[j2,1]]>bandheap[[j1,1]], bandheap[[{j1,j2}]]=bandheap[[{j2,j1}]]; {x1,y1}=Round[Rest[bandheap[[j1]]]]; heaptable[[x1,y1]]=j1; j1=j2; ]; heaptable[[x,y]]=j1, {kk,Length[nbrs]} ], {ii,len},{jj,wid} ];

While[hindex>0, pt=bandheap[[1]]; (Get smallest element in heap and freeze it.) {x,y}=Round[Rest[pt]]; statetable[[x,y]]=frozen;

(Replace with last element in heap,then rearrange by moving it downward to restore the heap ordering property.) bandheap[[1]]=bandheap[[hindex]]; done=False; prev=1; {j1,j2}=2*prev+{0,1};

While[j1<hindex&&!done, If[j2<hindex, next=If[bandheap[[j1,1]]<=bandheap[[j2,1]],j1,j2], next=j1 ];

If[bandheap[[prev,1]]>bandheap[[next,1]],(Swap? If not, we are done.) bandheap[[{prev,next}]]=bandheap[[{next,prev}]]; {x1,y1}=Round[Rest[bandheap[[prev]]]]; heaptable[[x1,y1]]=prev; prev=next; {j1,j2}=2*prev+{0,1} ,(else) done=True,done=True ]; ]; {x1,y1}=Round[Rest[bandheap[[prev]]]]; heaptable[[x1,y1]]=prev;

(Find neighbors of the removed point that were already in the band, update their distances, and move them to new locations in the band heap as needed.) nbrs={{x,y+1},{x,y-1},{x-1,y},{x+1,y}}; Do[ {x2,y2}=nbrs[[kk]]; If[! (0<x2<=len&&0<y2<=wid&&statetable[[x2,y2]]==band),Continue[]]; dist=newDistance[x2,y2,statetable,distancetable]; distancetable[[x2,y2]]=dist; (Find position of neighbor in heap. Change its value to reflect new distance.) j1=heaptable[[x2,y2]]; bandheap[[j1]]={dist,N[x2],N[y2]};

(The new distance is no larger than the old, so it can only move upward (that is, we iteratively compare to parent and swap if it is smaller).) While[(j2=Floor[j1/2])>=1&&bandheap[[j2,1]]>bandheap[[j1,1]], bandheap[[{j1,j2}]]=bandheap[[{j2,j1}]]; {x1,y1}=Round[Rest[bandheap[[j1]]]]; heaptable[[x1,y1]]=j1; j1=j2; ]; heaptable[[x2,y2]]=j1 , {kk,Length[nbrs]} ];

hindex--;

(Find neighbors of the removed point that are not already in the band, and place them there.) Do[ {x2,y2}=nbrs[[kk]]; If[! (0<x2<=len&&0<y2<=wid&&statetable[[x2,y2]]==far),Continue[]]; hindex++; statetable[[x2,y2]]=band; dist=newDistance[x2,y2,statetable,distancetable]; distancetable[[x2,y2]]=dist; bandheap[[hindex]]={dist,N[x2],N[y2]}; j1=hindex;

(Place each neighbor on the band heap and move upward to the appropriate location.) While[ (j2=Floor[j1/2])>=1&&bandheap[[j2,1]]>bandheap[[j1,1]], bandheap[[{j1,j2}]]=bandheap[[{j2,j1}]]; {x1,y1}=Round[Rest[bandheap[[j1]]]]; heaptable[[x1,y1]]=j1; j1=j2; ]; heaptable[[x2,y2]]=j1, {kk,Length[nbrs]} ];

]; distancetable ]

POSTED BY: Aidan Vieson
6 Replies

I would recommend ditching the circa 2003 code and using one of the newer variants such as this one from Mathematica StackExchange. For added speed I would (if I were writing this today) likely use the built-in "PriorityQueue" data structure.

As for the fast marching part, to be honest I doubt the author remembers much about it. He might have a closer look if absolutely necessary. What is your intended use case? (I hope something more exciting than making contours around initials. Modeling some physical phenomenon perhaps.)

POSTED BY: Daniel Lichtblau
Posted 3 months ago

This is the file I have been working from. The Module I am having issues with is close to the bottom labeled "Main Algorithm" .

Posted 3 months ago

I paste all the code into a fresh notebook in version 13. Thank you for all that code. That will be essential to try to understand what problems you are having.

I am guessing that starting with "An Example" might be your added code.

I try to evaluate the notebook and I get errors beginning with line

gr=Show[Graphics[Text[StyleForm["D L",FontSize->60,FontFamily->"Times",FontWeight->"Bold"],{0,0}]]]

If I look up StyleForm here https://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/StyleForm.html?q=StyleForm

then it gives me a warning: As of Version 6.0, StyleForm has been superseded by Style.

I have bits of memory about version 6 I think, but I cannot even remember how long ago that was.

StyleForm and Style seem to be expecting an expression, maybe something like 2+x, perhaps not "D L"

So I think you might try testing your code a single line, perhaps even a single symbol, at a time and carefully look for any warning or error messages and try to track down how to resolve those. Then see if each tiny step is providing the expected output, but this may be difficult for you because you may not know what the original author of the code expected as output at each step.

Perhaps you can track down what year the code you are trying to use was written. Then you might look for books on how to use the details of Mathematica that you are interested in and that were written about that year. Maybe those can give you some ideas what to try.

I hope something in this was helpful to you.

POSTED BY: Bill Nelson
Posted 3 months ago

The original document was made in 2003 but I cant seem to find any documents from then

Posted 3 months ago

I've been using the //Echo an the only this I see going wrong is with the module labeled Main algorithm. It seems to not be calculating the values for distance tables nor state tables. I am trying to input the a rasterized image, but I've also tried ImageData["image name"] and gotten the same results. is there a way to tell the program to solve here and not just carry place-holders?

Posted 3 months ago

If I just scrape-n-paste the code you show and I fix a few problems then it appears that you are missing a few characters or lines at the top of this because there is an unmatched ] at the bottom of this. There doesn't seem to be enough to scrape the code below, paste it into a fresh empty notebook, tap <shift><enter> to run this and see exactly the behavior that you are describing..

findDistances
    {bandheap, len=Length[ll], wid=Length[ll[[1]]], hsize, hindex=0,
    distancetable, statetable, frozen=-1., far=300., band=0.,
    outofbounds=1000., dist, maxpixval=255., minpixval=0., midpixval, heaptable,
    j1, j2, nbrs, pt, x, y, x1, y1, x2, y2, next, prev, done},
    (*Make sure everything in here is intuallzed and called correctlly*)
    (*Initializations.*)
midpixval=(maxpixval-minpixval);
distancetable =Map[If[#>midpixval,maxpixval,minpixval]&,ll,{2}];
statetable=Map[If[#1>1,far,frozen]&,distancetable,{2}];
heaptable=Table[0,{len},{wid}];
hsize=len*wid;
bandheap=Table[{0.,0.,0.},{hsize}];
(*Initialize the band by placing all neighbors of frozen cells thereon.*)
Do[
    If[statetable[[ii,jj]]=!=frozen,
        Continue[]
    ];
    nbrs={{ii,jj+1},{ii,jj-1},{ii-1,jj},{ii+1,jj}};
    Do[
        {x,y}=nbrs[[kk]];
        If[! (0<x<=len&&0<y<=wid&&Echo[statetable[[x,y]]]==far),
            Continue[]
        ];
        hindex++;
        statetable[[x,y]]=band;
        dist=newDistance[x,y,statetable,distancetable];
        distancetable[[x,y]]=dist;
        bandheap[[hindex]]={dist,N[x],N[y]};
        j1=hindex;
        (*Place each neighbor to the frozen cell on the end of the band heap. Then move it upward to the appropriate location.*)
        While[ (j2=Floor[j1/2])>=1&&bandheap[[j2,1]]>bandheap[[j1,1]],
            bandheap[[{j1,j2}]]=bandheap[[{j2,j1}]];
            {x1,y1}=Round[Rest[bandheap[[j1]]]];
            heaptable[[x1,y1]]=j1;
            j1=j2;
        ];
        heaptable[[x,y]]=j1,
        {kk,Length[nbrs]}
    ],
    {ii,len},{jj,wid}
];
While[hindex>0,
    pt=bandheap[[1]];
    (*Get smallest element in heap and freeze it.*)
    {x,y}=Round[Rest[pt]];
    statetable[[x,y]]=frozen;
    (*Replace with last element in heap,then rearrange by moving it downward to restore the heap ordering property.*)
    bandheap[[1]]=bandheap[[hindex]];
    done=False;
    prev=1;
    {j1,j2}=2*prev+{0,1};
    While[j1<hindex&&!done,
        If[j2<hindex,
            next=If[bandheap[[j1,1]]<=bandheap[[j2,1]],
                j1,
                j2
            ],
            next=j1
        ];
        If[bandheap[[prev,1]]>bandheap[[next,1]],
            (*Swap? If not, we are done.*)
            bandheap[[{prev,next}]]=bandheap[[{next,prev}]];
            {x1,y1}=Round[Rest[bandheap[[prev]]]];
            heaptable[[x1,y1]]=prev;
            prev=next;
            {j1,j2}=2*prev+{0,1} ,
            (*else*)
            done=True,
            done=True
        ];
    ];
    {x1,y1}=Round[Rest[bandheap[[prev]]]];
    heaptable[[x1,y1]]=prev;
    (*Find neighbors of the removed point that were already in the band, update their distances, and move them to new locations in the band heap as needed.*)
    nbrs={{x,y+1},{x,y-1},{x-1,y},{x+1,y}};
    Do[
        {x2,y2}=nbrs[[kk]];
        If[! (0<x2<=len&&0<y2<=wid&&statetable[[x2,y2]]==band),
            Continue[]
        ];
        dist=newDistance[x2,y2,statetable,distancetable];
        distancetable[[x2,y2]]=dist;
        (*Find position of neighbor in heap. Change its value to reflect new distance.*)
        j1=heaptable[[x2,y2]];
        bandheap[[j1]]={dist,N[x2],N[y2]};
        (*The new distance is no larger than the old, so it can only move upward (that is, we iteratively compare to parent and swap if it is smaller).*)
        While[(j2=Floor[j1/2])>=1&&bandheap[[j2,1]]>bandheap[[j1,1]],
            heaptable[[x1,y1]]=j1;
            j1=j2;
        ];
        heaptable[[x2,y2]]=j1 ,
        {kk,Length[nbrs]}
    ];
    hindex--;
    (*Find neighbors of the removed point that are not already in the band, and place them there.*)
    Do[
        {x2,y2}=nbrs[[kk]];
        If[! (0<x2<=len&&0<y2<=wid&&statetable[[x2,y2]]==far),
            Continue[]
        ];
        hindex++;
        statetable[[x2,y2]]=band;
        dist=newDistance[x2,y2,statetable,distancetable];
        distancetable[[x2,y2]]=dist;
        bandheap[[hindex]]={dist,N[x2],N[y2]};
        j1=hindex;
        (*Place each neighbor on the band heap and move upward to the appropriate location.*)
        While[ (j2=Floor[j1/2])>=1&&bandheap[[j2,1]]>bandheap[[j1,1]],
            heaptable[[x1,y1]]=j1;
            j1=j2;
        ];
        heaptable[[x2,y2]]=j1,
        {kk,Length[nbrs]}
    ];
];
distancetable ]
POSTED BY: Bill Nelson
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract