|
14 Replies
|
10 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Mathematica 14 breaks upon startup on Raspberry Pi 5

Posted 1 month ago

Great having Mathematica 14 now also available for the Raspberry Pi, thank you very much!

The only problem is that when starting an upgraded install (from 13.3.1). it stops with a series of errors, the first shown in the screenshot (I'm not using walynd but the old X/VNC combo). Mathematica 14 startup error

Thanks for your help,
Michael

14 Replies

Update: yes, lixcb-randr0 is installed and RandR=1280×800 is now set in the options of my RealVNC Server 7.10.0.52269 for arm64.

But no change, same error.

Just to add: 13.3.1 ran flawlessly w/o setting RandR or anything else.

Does your VNC server support randr? For example in the RealVNC case, you may try specifying the geometry with something like

vncserver-virtual -RandR=1280×800

POSTED BY: Ilian Gachevski

This works fine for me, using the built-in realvnc server paclage

vncserver-virtual -RandR=1280x800
RealVNC(R) Server 7.5.1 (r50075) ARMv8-A (May 30 2023 13:27:57)
Copyright (C) RealVNC Ltd.

enter image description here

Thanks; then I'll guess I'll habe to wait until folks update to 7.10...

I think it is not so much the actual version of the package, but whether a virtual desktop is used, as opposed to the existing X session.

The following seems to work

mkdir -p ~/.config/systemd/user

echo \
"[Unit]
Description=RealVNC server in virtual mode
After=network.target

[Service]
Type=forking
ExecStart=/usr/bin/vncserver-virtual -RandR 1280x800 :1
ExecStop=/usr/bin/vncserver-virtual -kill :1

[Install]
WantedBy=default.target" \
> ~/.config/systemd/user/realvnc-virtual.service

systemctl --user daemon-reload
systemctl --user enable --now realvnc-virtual

Then connect your VNC viewer to port 5901 and launch Mathematica.

Posted 16 days ago

I have a Raspberry Pi 4B running Raspberry Pi OS 64 bit. The proposed procedure with virtual realvnc works for me. It is important though to connect to the correct port 5901 ! I changed the resolution to 1920x1080. Thanks !

POSTED BY: Bert Aerts

Yes, works for me, too, thanks.

Now I'm looking to get it running not only via your idea with vncserver-virtual in ~/.config/systemd/user/realvnc-virtual.service but also via the standard vncserver-x11-serviced from /lib/systemd/system/vncserver-x11-serviced.service; for the latter, RandR is set but the error still comes up...

Best regards, Michael

P.S.: In the meantime, I've also upgraded to the latest version, 7.11, on both server and client side, but no change.

P.S.: Besides, I just noticed that while wolfram-engine for arm64 is @ 14.0.0+202403231274, wolframscript for arm64 is still @ 13.3.1+20230821180 on the standard feed.

By the way, you don't necessarily need the standalone wolframscript package any more. There is an up to date version of wolframscript included in the wolfram-engine package

Setting up wolfram-engine (14.0.0+202403231274) ...
update-alternatives: using /opt/Wolfram/WolframEngine/14.0/SystemFiles/Kernel/Binaries/Linux-ARM64/wolframscript to provide /usr/bin/wolframscript (wolframscript) in auto mode

Yes, agreed; might be good to remove wolframscript from the feed, though?

The latest version of the wolframscript package has been published in the official repository.

While it is not necessarily needed or useful when wolfram-engine is already installed, there is also the possibility of cloud kernel use, i.e. wolframscript -cloud without a full local installation.

Thank you, Stefan, and no, libxcb-randr is not available on the standard feed of Raspberry Pi/Debian and therefore also not installed, I'm sorry.

Best regards, Michael

I think Stefan meant the libxcb-randr0 package

Hi, Michael!

Could you double check that you:

a) have libxcb-randr installed

b) the vnc server is using it

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract