4 Replies
|
1 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Confusion when exporting TSV file within a zip file if it's called CSV

Posted 25 days ago

Hi There,

The below is a little confusing - to clarify, I have a zip file with a TSV file in it. The TSV file ends in CSV where it should probably end in TSV.

I'm playing with GDELT data and want to do a bulk insert of file data into a SQL database. To do this I'm exporting a CSV file that is inside a zip file (supplied by GDELT). I have included one of these files, just rename the attached file to "20230101.export.CSV.zip".

I use this code to extract the TSV file from the zip file so I can use it in a bulk insert query (the TSV file ends in CSV where it should probably end in TSV):

Export["20230101.export.CSV",  Import[
   "20230101.export.CSV.zip", "20230101.export.CSV"] , "TSV"];

In the resulting file, each row is now enclosed by a " at each end (and the bulk insert fails since the file is not properly formatted).

If I rename the file within the zip file to "20230101.export.TSV" and export it using similar code it works properly and does not enclose each line with "".

Firstly, is this a bug? I would have expected Mathematica to export this properly since I added "TSV" in the export statement.

Since the files (inside the zip files) that are supplied have a slightly misleading "CSV" filetype ending (even though they are really TSV files), I am kind of stuck with this naming convention. Any suggestions on how I can get a properly formatted TSV file that I can use for bulk inserts?

Regards,
Sean.

Attachments:
POSTED BY: S G
4 Replies
Posted 20 days ago

Hi Rohit,

many thanks for the reply and solution. I also found another solution to the issue that appears to fix it: If I extract the CSV file within the zip file using the "Byte" option, it doesn't enclose each line with "".

Import["20230101.export.CSV.zip", "20230101.export.CSV", "Byte"]

The resulting code was really fast, I was able to process about 6000 files in a few hours. The bulk inserts also worked really well with only 3 bad files (representing 3 days in about 20 years of data). It took a few hours to do all the bulk inserts. The resulting table has over 1B entries. Before I start playing with the DB, I'm going to look at other potential data sources to add. Thanks again for your suggestion.

Posted 23 days ago

The only issue I have with this is that there are hundreds of these files and more are added on a regular basis so I want to have a mathematica script that automatically processes these files rather than doing it manually.

Posted 21 days ago

There is no need to do it manually. You could write WL code that generates the series of unzip/mv commands and execute it using RunProcess or ExternalEvaluate.

POSTED BY: Rohit Namjoshi
Posted 23 days ago

If the only problem is the wrong extension I think it would be much easier, and much faster to do from the command line

unzip 20230101.export.CSV.zip 20230101.export.CSV
mv 20230101.export.CSV 20230101.export.TSV
POSTED BY: Updating Name
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract