|
2 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Generate random multiples

Posted 2 months ago

I would like to generate a set of random integers that range between -10¹³⁵ + 1 (negative 1 quattuorquadragintillion + 1) and 10¹³⁵ - 1 (positive 1 quattuorquadragintillion - 1) that are multiples of 10¹⁰⁰ (10 duotrigintillion or 1 googol). How do I do that? The difficulty is not in the integer generation but in ensuring that the randomly generated integers are multiples of 10¹⁰⁰.

POSTED BY: Caleb Stevens
2 Replies
Posted 2 months ago

Thank you for the reply, Denis. That sounds like a decent suggestion. It is amazing to find out just how much the Wolfram language is able to do and, at times, how much it isn’t (or, at least, appears to be unable to do). Although, as with any programming language, many of those cases are probably not that it “can’t be done”; rather that a given user simply lacks the knowledge necessary to have the desired operation performed (at least, as the user envisions it being performed) (henceforth, Wolfram Research’s abundance of training courses). I shall now apply your suggestion.

POSTED BY: Caleb Stevens
Posted 2 months ago

Why don’t you generate random integers from $-10^{35}$ to $10^{35}$ and then multiply by $10^{100}$ ?

POSTED BY: Denis Ivanov
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract