Message Boards Message Boards

Restrict network license to one per user

Posted 19 days ago

Hello all,

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question but here goes. We have a network license server with 6 seats and I noticed a weird behavior which I would like to clarify.

Say I open mathematica on my windows laptop. I look at the report from monitorlm and I see one seat occupied. But then, if I open Mathematica again from the shortcut on desktop, it opens again and I can now see that a second seat is taken. Is this the intended behavior? What is the point of this? It looks like one person can take all 6 seats by opening 6 mathematica instances. This behavior doesn't happen if after I open mathematica, I then open a number of notebooks. Monitorlm reports only one seat taken.

Is there a way to for only one licence per user? Per machine? I have read about reservations but I don't think this is what will solve the problem.

Regrads,

Lucian

POSTED BY: Lucian Filip

Hi,

My concern is the following:

We don't have many users that are using Mathematica, but they may be more than 6 or they can change their computers (work at the office vs working at home). I was looking for an automated method that can tell the server that once someone has taken a seat, to not give them another from the same machine. Then release that seat when they finish. But I don't necessarily want to reserve that seat only to a specific user. If that makes sense.

Regards, Lucian

POSTED BY: Lucian Filip
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract