|
|
8 Replies
|
5 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Sum and Product a feature request

Wouldn't it be nice to have the following definitions for Sum and Product in order to get the sum resp. the product of a list/vector?

Unprotect[Product];
Product[a_] := Times @@ a
Protect[Product];
Unprotect[Sum];
Sum[a_] := Plus @@ a
Protect[Sum];

\[Sum]{a, b, c, d} == Sum[{a, b, c, d}] == Sum[e, {e, {a, b, c, d}}] ==
  Plus @@ {a, b, c, d} == a + b + c + d
\[Product]{a, b, c, d} == Product[e, {e, {a, b, c, d}}] == 
 Product[{a, b, c, d}] == Times @@ {a, b, c, d} == a*b*c*d

True

True
POSTED BY: Robert Nowak
8 Replies

Tr[list] as well as Total[list] (which Gianluca Gorni mentioned) sum a list, and quickly if list is a packed array. Plus @@ list unpacks the list first. If list is not packed, then the three have similar performance. If the list can be packed, then Total[Developer`ToPackedArray@list] is faster than Total[list]. And list . ConstantArray[1, Length@list] is often fastest, except for the amount of typing. FromDigits[list, 1] is an arcane way to sum a list, but it's faster than Plus @@ list.

I do not know of a similar function for products. WRI has introduced variants for a thousand operations, but not for this fairly common one. Tr[list, Times] forms the product, but not as efficiently as it sums a list. On large packed arrays, Fold[Times, list] is about twice as fast as Times @@ list or Tr[list, Times].

That said — and ignore the arcana — I often see users using Sum[] to add up some numbers. Sum[] is, to my mind, principally a symbolic summation tool. It will do symbolic analysis first to determine a summation method. If it chooses something other than Method -> "Procedural", it will probably do more symbolic analysis, which is usually slow compared to machine float/int operations. Here is an example:

Sum[2. i, {i, 10^6}] // RepeatedTiming
Sum[2. i, {i, 10^6}, Method -> "Procedural"] // RepeatedTiming
Total[2. Range[10^6]] // RepeatedTiming
(*
{0.176149, 1.*10^12}
{0.0119958, 1.*10^12}
{0.000709462, 1.*10^12}
*)

While it is nice to have an efficient Total[] (or Tr[]), it would be nicer if Sum[] did all summation tasks, including this. Ditto for Product[]. Your one-argument suggestions are worth considering.

POSTED BY: Michael Rogers

What about Sum[{{1,2},{3,4}}] ?

POSTED BY: Gianluca Gorni

Interestingly

Sum[{{a, b}, {c, d}}]

gives

{a + c, b + d}

This seems to be an undocumented behavior. According to mathematica doc/help Sum[ ] requires two parameters not one as in the example. I can't find a one parameter version in the doc.

edit: sorry that was a mishap I did not recognizance that my modified Sum was active. All correct with the mathematica doc ;).

....oooouch

you are right I evaluated with my proposed feature. With the feature activated this would be the correct desired behavior of summing up the 1st level elements.

Sum[{{a, b}, {c, d}}]

{a + c, b + d}

The function Total does that too. You would like to incorporate Total into Sum?

Total does more than simple summation. With Total you can control at which nesting level the summation happens.

Σ{a,b,c,d}

a + b + c + d

Π{a,b,c,s} 

a * b * c * d

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract