|
11 Replies
|
3 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Obtaining permutations in a circle

Posted 20 days ago

Permutations in a row or permutations in a line of n = 4 objects taking r = 3 at a time which is Length-3 permutations of {a,b,c,d} is obtained in Mathematica using Permutations[{a, b, c, d}, {3}].I do not know if Permutations[{a, b, c, d}, {3}] can be tweaked in Mathematica to obtain permutations in a circle of n=4 objects taking r=3 at a time. Regardless, how can permutations in a circle of n=4 objects taking r=3 at a time too be obtained in Mathematica?

POSTED BY: Yaw Antoa Onyina
11 Replies
Posted 18 days ago

I misunderstood. Deleted.

POSTED BY: Hans Milton

Put element 1 first. Permute 2,3,…,n. If first exceeds last, reverse them. Then list 1 followed by that (possibly reversed) permutation.

This assumes I understand the problem correctly.

POSTED BY: Daniel Lichtblau
Posted 19 days ago

You've described an approach when $r=n$. But I think the OP is also interested in $r<n$. (Although I'm not yet convinced that any reversing is necessary in the case you describe. I'll think about that a bit more.)

POSTED BY: Jim Baldwin

I do not know what it means to permute 3 of 4 elements. Keep one fixed?

As for reversals, (1,4,3,2) is the same on a circle as (1,2,3,4)— just travel ccw from 1 instead of cw.

Posted 19 days ago

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the OP's question. I interpret it that there are 4 persons showing up for dinner but you only have 3 chairs to seat them at a round table. I think the question is to generate all possible seating arrangements (with just 3 being seated at a time).

That means one would first find all of the ways 3 out of 4 dinner guests could be chosen. For each of those sets of 3, all possible circular arrangements would be generated. For this example that would be (3-1)! = 2 ways for each set of 3.

So I see the question being general for $n \geq r \geq 2$. For $n=r \geq 2$, one just has to fix 1 dinner guest and then permute the rest as usual resulting in $(n-1)!$ arrangements. No need for reversing.

But the OP will need to clarify.

Me, I don’t care if Fred is to my left and Sheila to my right, or vice versa. Both are gonna get cocktail sauce on them either way.

Posted 18 days ago

Lol. I'd love to be invited to your next party!

POSTED BY: Eric Rimbey

Yes BIG MAN DANIEL, to permute 3 of 4 elements and Keep one fixed as is required for permutations in a circle which uses the formula n combination r times (r-1) as opossed to permutations in a line or row which uses the formula n combination r times r

Per the question I was interested in r<n but then I want to believe that once it works for r<n it should work for r=n

Posted 19 days ago

Here's an alternative approach:

circlePermutations[object_, r_?IntegerQ] := Module[{t},
  If[r <= Length[object],
   t = {#[[1]], Permutations[#[[2 ;;]]]} & /@ Subsets[object, {r}];
   Flatten[MapThread[Join, {ConstantArray[{#[[1]]}, Length[#[[2]]]], #[[2]]}] & /@ t, 1],
   Print[ToString[r] <> " is greater than the length of " <> ToString[object] <> "."]]]

circlePermutations[{a, b, c, d}, 3]
(* {{a, b, c}, {a, c, b}, {a, b, d}, {a, d, b}, {a, c, d}, {a, d, c}, {b, c, d}, {b, d, c}} *)
Posted 20 days ago

I couldn't find any built in functions or options that would produce circle permutations. Here is a way to do it.

First, define a function that puts a permutation into some canonical order. I chose to rotate the permutation until its "minimal" element (by sort order) is first.

CanonicalizePermutation[perm_List] := 
  NestWhile[RotateLeft, perm, Not@*MatchQ[{1, ___}]@*Ordering]

If we take a list of permutations and put them all in this canonical form, we can then use Union or DeleteDuplicates or just DeleteDuplicatesBy.

DeleteDuplicatesBy[Permutations[{a, b, c, d}, {3}], CanonicalizePermutation]
(* {{a, b, c}, {a, b, d}, {a, c, b}, {a, c, d}, {a, d, b}, {a, d, c}, {b, c, d}, {b, d, c}} *)

DeleteDuplicates[CanonicalizePermutation /@ Permutations[{a, b, c, d}, {3}]]
(* {{a, b, c}, {a, b, d}, {a, c, b}, {a, c, d}, {a, d, b}, {a, d, c}, {b, c, d}, {b, d, c}} *)

Union[CanonicalizePermutation /@ Permutations[{a, b, c, d}, {3}]]
POSTED BY: Eric Rimbey
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract