|
4 Replies
|
1 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Incompatibiity between ACE and LibraryLink

Posted 10 years ago

I have a 32-bit library I would like to use some functions from that use the ACE library (http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ACE.html). Central to the task of making this work is the initialization of the ACE library. From a DLL, this is done with a call to ACE::init(). There are a number of examples of doing this and I have done it with a number of other programs. In the WolframLibrary_initialize() routine, I call ACE::init() and it fails. I have also tried putting the ACE::init() into the DLLMain routine--no luck. Most of what the ACE::init() does is allocate a bunch of C++ objects and initialize a number of static global variables. Some simple stuff works, like just returning a string, or getting the arguments from the called function.

This is a Windows 7 machine with 64-bit OS. I have set my notebook to use a 32-bit kernel so that I can load my 32-bit library. It has a number of other 32-bit dependencies. I can think of a couple of things that might be going wrong:

1. The WolframLibrary_initialize() is not happening in the same thread as the original Win32 LoadLibrary call.
  2. The 32-bit kernel does not have the %PATH% I think it does.
  3. There is something else I need to do to get a 32-bit DLL to load its dependencies (they are all in the same dir as the one I built).
  4. I need to build the library with something later then Visual C++ 6.0
  5. C++ static variable initialization is problematic with LibraryLink.

Any ideas?

POSTED BY: winston jenks
4 Replies
Posted 10 years ago

I tried it with the 64-bit version of my DLL. Originally I got the same behavior as with the 32-bit version--if I did not include any dependencies to other DLLs, it worked fine, but as soon as I tried to call something in another library, it would not load. Then I explicitly put the location of the other required DLLs in the PATH. Now the 64-bit version of my DLL works just fine. Next I'll try to get the 32-bit version working (with the 32-bit kernel).

On a 64 bit OS, you're running a 64 bit version of Mathematica.
If my memory is correct, technical support has told me you can't call a 32 bit dll from 64 bit Mathematica through LibraryLink.

POSTED BY: Frank Kampas

I don't think you can use LibraryLink to call 32 bit code from a 64 bit operating system.

POSTED BY: Frank Kampas
Posted 10 years ago

Sure we can. The OS is not the problem in this case. What's important is the "bit-ness" of the Process, not the OS. That is why there is a 32-bit kernel. The library loads, and the functions are loaded with LibraryFunctionLoad just fine. The one that returns the version works.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract