|
8 Replies
|
2 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Laptop compatibility for Raspberry Pi

Posted 10 years ago

I am just getting started with Raspberry Pi. Am I seeing boards that require a desktop or are you suppose to use enclosures?

POSTED BY: Douglas Youvan
8 Replies
Posted 10 years ago

You're quite welcome, Doug. And that is about the last time I used Unix -- until the Pi. But I still keep a sharpened wood stake next to my desk in case vi tries to emerge from its coffin!

POSTED BY: David Keith
Posted 10 years ago

And still one more thing: I thought I should be really clear -- my configuration for the Pi is unusual. The straightforward way to use Mathematica on the Pi is to plug a monitor, keyboard and mouse into the Pi and run Raspbian (the OS) using the built in GUI. Mathematica runs on the Pi just like that, with no other computer involved. The Pi is the only computer needed.

Aside from the information on Mathematica on the Pi, you need to learn about the Pi itself, and the Pi operating system called Raspbian, which is a version of Unix. The best place to start learning those things is here Raspberry Pi.org --

You may know all of this -- but it seemed to me my adventures with the Pi could be confusing.

Kind regards,

David

David,

That was very nice of you to go to all of the trouble to explain this to me.

This reminds me of ~ 1987 when people started moving from Unix workstations to the 387! I sure hope that vi editor does not reappear!

Doug

Posted 10 years ago

And one more thing -- since you are interested in using a camera, my setup may not be appropriate, or at least might be a lot more effort. The most straightforward way to get a camera up and running with a Pi would be to plug a monitor, mouse, and keyboard directly into the Pi, and use it as the only computing resource. I have never used a camera on a Pi, but I expect this would be very simple, with almost turnkey configurations using the Pi camera board and Mathematica (or Python). The only worry I would have is if you are using the new B+ Pi, which might have support issues with Mathematica. There are others on the forum who know much more about this than me -- maybe we will hear from them.

Posted 10 years ago

Hi Doug,

I have never put a camera on my Pi. In my setup, the Pi is plugged into my home network, which is distributed from an Apple router on CAT5 cable. It goes to a switch in my study where my workstation and other things plug in, including the Pi over on a small electronics bench. I do have wireless, also from the Apple router, but the Pi is hardwired into its network connection. I would imagine the Pi could be connected through wireless by using a USB wireless adapter, but I have not tried that.

One thing to note about my setup is that I run the Pi as "headless" though a remote login. That means I am using only the Unix command line interface through remote login from my laptop or workstation. (The laptop is on wireless.) No windows interface and therefor I do not run the Mathematica front end or notebook interface. It is probably possible to do that by running the front end on the workstation or laptop and the kernel as a remote kernel on the Pi -- but I haven't tried that. My real interest in this is in using the Pi as the execution machine for hardware control, but being able to develop in Wolfram language on my workstation, and analyze the results of hardware interaction there as well, where more computing power is available. This has thrown me a bit since the Mathematica interface to the Pi does not yet support the B+, but I have all working in C. The only real issue I have now is that I would like to do some real-time work on the Pi, and Raspbian, like other Unix derivatives, is really not a real-time OS. When time permits, I plan on looking into the real-time modifications available.

Best, David

David,

That thread is a nice write-up. Thank you. But I still don't get it. Will my connection to my laptop running Mathematica be wireless? If you have time, it would be nice to see a shopping list to get the camera running. I'm not sure what to buy.

Doug

Posted 10 years ago

And, if you are interested, this thread contains some info on my adventure with the Pi.

My Pi

Posted 10 years ago

They are very small boards. Some people use a case, some don't. I used a "Zebra Case" which I like a lot. You can access the pins, but the board is protected. If you are connecting to the pins, you can buy cables that plug into the Pi and have at the other end an adapter which plugs into the usual solderless breadboard. That works great.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract