Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
2 Replies
|
1 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

How to use the Finite elements method with Mathematica?

Posted 10 years ago

Hi Every one,

I'm actually trying to solve numerically some 3D Partial Differential Equations, such as the heat equation for example. Thus I wanted to use the Finite Elements Method for that.

So I had a look on the wolfram tuto: http://reference.wolfram.com/language/FEMDocumentation/tutorial/SolvingPDEwithFEM.html#509267359

If I understood well, I need first to download the [NDSolve'FEM'] package, don't I ? So I tried: Needs["NDSolveFEM"]

But each time I try I got an error message :

Get::noopen: Cannot open NDSolveFEM. >> Needs::nocont: "Context \!(\"NDSolveFEM\") was not created when Needs was evaluated."

Does that means that this package is not included with Mathematica? (I'm using the 8.0.4 version) Do I need first to download this package from the internet? If yes do you know where I can find it, because I could not fin it anywhere -_-

Because this package I cannot even solve the first example of the tuto :/ uif = NDSolveValue[{Laplacian[u[x, y], {x, y}] == 0, u[x, 0] == 0, u[x, 1] == 1, u[0, y] == 0, u[1, y] == 0}, u, {x, 0, 1}, {y, 0, 1}]; Plot3D[uif[x, y], {x, 0, 1}, {y, 0, 1}, ColorFunction -> "TemperatureMap"] (Nothing's plotted when I type the same text of the tuto)

Thanks for your help!

PS: I know that this is certainly not the first time that this question is asked but trust me I tried to find it on the forum and I couldn't fin anything. Also I'm not an informatic expert and english is not my native language so yeah I might have missed some points which may sound obvious for you ^^

2 Replies

Erf, I don't have a licence for this one snif -_- Thanks for your answer :)

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract