|
8 Replies
|
6 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Clipping of graphs.

Dear All,

I have several graphs next to each other, in Mathematica it looks like this: enter image description here

However in the exported PDF it looks like this: enter image description here

Is there a way to get these clipping masks correct? I set PlotRangeClipping to True and I have set the correct PlotRange.

POSTED BY: Sander Huisman
8 Replies
Posted 9 years ago

Hi Sander, I think it's a bug, but it may be in the import rather than the export. When I look at the pdf with Acrobat it's much better.

SetDirectory[NotebookDirectory[]];

p1 = Graphics[{Pink, Disk[{0, 0}, 5]}, Frame -> True, PlotRange -> 4, 
  PlotRangeClipping -> True]

enter image description here

Export["out.pdf", p1];

Import["out.pdf"]

But when I look at out.pdf with Acrobat or Photoshop I see this: (Converted to png for posting)

POSTED BY: David Keith

I'm not using the import feature, only the export. It should just be perfect, I don't see what is the problem. The positions (in pdf units) for the clipping ranges are known; the exact coordinates as for the frame!

I'd like to hear from someone from Wolfram...

EDIT: I think it just completely ignores the clipping masks in the Import.

Posted 9 years ago

I see what you mean, Sander. Even in my example, the colored region of the pdf now laps over the top and bottom of the frame. Through the years, I have had a lot of problems getting pdf output that actually looked like the Mathematica graphic. Sometimes I have noticed that the results interact strongly with as-drawn and export image sizes.

Best, David

Generally it is fine, but clipping masks are always troublesome! They are somehow very difficult to handle. I made some complaints before but they never seem to fix them.

It would be very nice if there would be a clipping-mask primitive in one of the future versions, so you manually mask something!

--SH

Posted 9 years ago

If this is a GraphicsGrid or GraphicsRow you might try Rasterize on it, then export the rasterized version.

Hi David,

It is not a GraphicsGrid/Row/Column. It is one Graphics object with several Inset objects because GraphicsGrid are very unreliable with styling, paddings et cetera. I can't have it rasterized though, I need the figure to be vector. Some parts of the figure are vectorised actually; the density maps are rasterized and placed back in to the figures using Prolog. This is merely done to save some on the file-size. Thanks for the suggestion though!

The problem though is way more general, even the simplest example goes wrong (in view and in export).

Graphics[{Pink, Disk[{0, 0}, 5]}, Frame -> True, PlotRange -> 4, PlotRangeClipping -> True]
Export["out.pdf", %]

Any more ideas? This seems like a bug, I'm open for spelunking and underground solutions creating clipping masks or hacks to fix this...

Posted 9 years ago

I've often found exporting to eps works better, then you can convert that to pdf. Perhaps this will work for you.

POSTED BY: Greg Hurst

Hi Chip,

I tried that as well, to no avail. Same problem persists. Any idea if we can manually add a clipping mask with proper coordinates? Of course I can edit the output figure (eps/pdf) in illustrator. But this gets very tiresome with many figures.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract