Message Boards Message Boards

How to export a plot (or graph) together with its legend?

Posted 10 years ago

Dear Mathematica folks,

Who can help me with the following trivial but irritating little problem?

If I make plots in Mathematica, it's straightforward to save and export the plot to another document. However ... if there's a legend attached to the plot, the straightforward "saving" operation in the Mathematica notebook selects only the plot and not the legend. There must be a simple way of locking the legend to the plot so that the "export" operation works on both jointly, but I haven't been to figure out how to do that.

Who can help me?

Thanks in advance, René Samson

POSTED BY: Rene Samson
5 Replies
Posted 9 years ago

Tnx David....So nice!

POSTED BY: Hadi Tokme
Posted 9 years ago

I also find that with Version 10.3 on Windows you can select the cell containing the graphic, right-click, and choose "Save Selection As" to save a graphic which will include the legend:

enter image description here

The saved png is:

enter image description here

POSTED BY: David Keith
Posted 10 years ago

David's suggestion was the easiest and fastest solution for me. Thanks a heap. René Samson

POSTED BY: Rene Samson
Posted 10 years ago
POSTED BY: David Keith

Are you used Legended or something similar? Some of the legend functions put the legend inside the same graphics as the plot and some don't. Mathematica graphics are a kind of vector graphics. A simple workaround for many unintuitive graphics problems like this is to rasterize them into an image.

Try wrapping Rasterize[....] around the result or around the commmand producing the plot.

If they're separate graphics and you'd like to not rasterize them, try putting them into a list and combining them with GraphicsRow.

POSTED BY: Sean Clarke
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract