0 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Simulation of Wigner semicircle law

Posted 9 years ago

This question is posted in mathematica.stackexchange

1. For $1\le i&lt;j<\infty$ let $X_{i,j}$ be independant and indentically distributed (i.i.d) real random variables with mean $0$ and variance $1$ and set $X_{j,i}=X_{i,j}$. Let $X_{i,i}$ be i.i.d. real random variables (with possibly a different distribution) with mean $0$ and variance $1$. Then $M_n=\left[ X_{i,j}\right]_{i,j=1}^n$ will be a random $n\times n$ symmetric matrix.

2. There are $n$ random eigenvalues which we will denote by $$ \lambda1\le \lambda2\le \dots \lambdan. $$ The empirical spectral measure is $$ \nu^*n=\frac1n \sum{i=1}^n \delta{\lambda_i}. $$ This is a random discrete probability measure which puts $n^{-1}$ mass to each (random) eigenvalue.

3. theorem:(Wigner's semicircle law) Let $$ \nu_n=\frac1n \sum_{i=1}^n \delta_{\frac{\lambda_i}{\sqrt{n}}}. $$ be the normalized empirical spectral measure. Then as $n\to \infty$ we have $$ \nu_n \Rightarrow \nu \qquad \text{a.s.} $$ where $\nu$ has density $$ \frac{d\nu}{dx}=\frac{1}{2\pi} \sqrt{4-x^2}\,\chi_{\{|x|\le 2\}}. $$ ( $\chi_A$ denote the indicatrice function of $A$)

Question Using simulation to understand this theorem in other word: Do the same thing that was done for the central limit theorem as it is shown in this page CLT I have already posted here about the same subject. Any help is welcome.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract