Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
4 Replies
|
2 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

How to see elided results in WolframAlpha[] queries from Wolfram Language?

Posted 9 years ago

Hi folks,

Apologies if this is a stupid question. I'm very new to Wolfram Language and Wolfram|Alpha. I've spent the last 20-30 minutes exploring the Wolfram Language documentation, but I can't figure out if I'm having trouble with Wolfram Language syntax or the Wolfram|Alpha API.

When I query Wolfram|Alpha from Wolfram Language, sometimes the results I get are partially elided. For example:

In[17]:= WolframAlpha["satellites overhead"]                                    
Out[17]= {{{Input, 1}, Plaintext} -> all visible satellites | now, 
{{NumberOfAllVisibleSatellites, 1}, Plaintext} -> 1875, 
{{VisibleNonDebrisSatellitesAtDatFromLocation, 1}, Plaintext} -> 
>  Tiangong 1  |  Shijian 6A  |  XSS 10  |  M-CUBED/EXP-1 PRIME  |  DMSP\
>  4B/F3  |  Orbcomm FM-30  |  HJ-1C  |  Porcupine 1  |  Meteor 1-16  | \ 
>  Cosmos 1176 coolant  |  ... (707)}
In[18]:=                                                                        

I'm trying to figure out how to get access to those 707 other satellites. I've tried changing the output format to PodCell and PodPlaintext and the like, but unsurprisingly the change in output format didn't change the actual results. I also tried setting the PodWidth to very high values, but nothing seemed to change when I did that. I saw a reference to OutputSizeLimit in the docs, but I'm 1) not sure if the elision is happening at the API layer or locally, and 2) wasn't able to change OutputSizeLimit in Wolfram Language on my Raspberry Pi:

Set::wrsym: Symbol $OutputSizeLimit is Protected.                               

Any advice or suggestions on how to proceed?

TIA, alex

POSTED BY: Alex Shepard
4 Replies

Hey Alex:

Consistent with my experience, the WolframAlpha dev support team has resolved this issue that I reported. The fix is:

WolframAlpha["all visible satellites" , {{"VisibleNonDebrisSatellitesAtDatFromLocation", 1} , "ComputableData"}]

Indeed all 700 satellites (at my location) are enumerated.

A nice touch is that when you do this query on the W|a site, the satellite names are "hot" where selection brings up a display showing the path through the sky.

Regards..

POSTED BY: Aeyoss Antelope

I can guess you read about this here:

Data Formats in Wolfram|Alpha

http://reference.wolfram.com/language/tutorial/DataFormatsInWolframAlpha.html

Specifically the section called: Obtaining Data Formats Programmatically

The article says this: WolframAlpha["msft close Jan 1, 2011 to Jan 21 2011", {All, "DataFormats"}]

So I typed this: WolframAlpha["satellites overhead", {All, "DataFormats"}]

Then the article says this: WolframAlpha["msft close Jan 1, 2011 to Jan 21 2011", {{"DateRangeSpecified:Close:FinancialData", 1}, "FormattedData"}]

So I typed this: WolframAlpha["satellites overhead", {{"VisibleNonDebrisSatellitesAtDatFromLocation", 1}, "FormattedData"}]

The only result I could get is: Missing[NotAvailable]

I put a link to this thread in the W|a suggestion box. My experience is that it takes a while, but they usually respond eventually.

HTH.

POSTED BY: Aeyoss Antelope
Posted 9 years ago

I don't know about this case, but, in general, when Mathematica displays ellipses it means all the data is there, it's just so long you wouldn't want to see it in print. If that's it, the (707) means there are 707 more items.

POSTED BY: David Keith
Posted 9 years ago

Bump (will only bump once, I promise).

Can anyone help with this?

POSTED BY: Alex Shepard
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract